Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Stopper stuck on chuck

I've been turning some stoppers recently, in a variety of woods. The
two I've turned out of English Walnut have both become stuck on the
bottle stopper chuck. I think the cause is the extra screwing in caused
by the turning process.

I'm looking at alternative ideas to remove the stopper from the chuck.
The first one I destroyed by turning to eliminate the friction point.
I've got ideas to eliminate this problem in the future, but no great
ones on how to remove the current sample.

Ideas?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Scott Zrubek wrote:
I've been turning some stoppers recently, in a variety of woods. The
two I've turned out of English Walnut have both become stuck on the
bottle stopper chuck. I think the cause is the extra screwing in caused
by the turning process.

I'm looking at alternative ideas to remove the stopper from the chuck.
The first one I destroyed by turning to eliminate the friction point.
I've got ideas to eliminate this problem in the future, but no great
ones on how to remove the current sample.

Ideas?

What kind of chuck? Is it the one with a flat on it with a little
roller to cause expansion. This is what I use and I just lock the
spindle and twist it back and forth while pulling. Watch your elbow if
you have a live center on the tailstock. I found that knocking off
the sharp end edges of the roller with a diamond hone helps keep it
from digging in. I don't turn bottle stoppers anymore but use the
chuck for turning Christmas tree ornaments.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Clones are people two.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Scott Zrubek wrote:

Depending on the diametere of the stopper you might be bale to use a
small strap wrench:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945533000P

Another idea would be to look at one of the jar/bottle opener aids sold
in the kitchen section of department stores.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. It's been "resting" on the chuck for a
couple of days, maybe that will have eased the "stuck".

But it didn't work. Maybe I'll get the strap wrench and it'll work
better.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sep 26, 3:47*pm, Gerald Ross wrote:
Scott Zrubek wrote:
[...]

I have had this happens a few times. The best method i found is to put
the chuck/stopper in the freezer for about 1/2 hour. then use the
strap wrench if necessary to remove it. (The metal will shrink a
little more than the wood from the cold loosening it up)

Be aware though that the strap wrench will probably ruin the finished
surface of the stopper.

Once you have it off, take a lid from a coffee can and cut yourself a
washer. It's thin enough not to throw off the chuck, and will prevent
the wood from locking up onto the screw chuck again. I use washers
like that to prevent various adaptors from getting stuck also. (I have
one lathe with a 1 1/4 x 8 tpi, and another with 1 x 8 tpi spindles)

You can purchase washers for this purpose, but the coffee can lids
work fine and are free!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
,

Scott Zrubek wrote:
[...]

Cool. I was going to create a wooden washer and see how that worked.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Scott Zrubek wrote:

In article
,

Scott Zrubek wrote:
[...]

The freezing did not work. Time to try and part it off near the chuck,
I guess.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Scott Zrubek wrote:

The freezing did not work. Time to try and part it off near the chuck,
I guess.

Unless it's REALLY nice wood I'd just turn it off...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ications,
Kevin Miller wrote:

Scott Zrubek wrote:

The freezing did not work. Time to try and part it off near the chuck,
I guess.

Unless it's REALLY nice wood I'd just turn it off...

...Kevin

My skills might not be up to getting it off properly. I'd like to see
if it will still function as a b/s.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

interesting - no one suggested deceleration as the means to get it off. If
you can hold the chuck with something (is it threaded? MT?) then you can
smack the thing holding it into a vice, an anvil or something (making sure
the stopper misses the object being smacked) - the sudden deceleration will
probably move it - if not, smack it harder - you can easily get well over
1000 g's (for a very short amount of time), and the shock will almost
certainly free it.

Stuck Chuck Corbett Woodworking 2 October 25th 06 06:48 PM
Sink Pop-up stopper stuck [email protected] Home Repair 6 May 23rd 06 09:14 PM
Bottle Stopper chuck Gerald Ross Woodturning 1 June 10th 05 06:57 PM
stuck chuck William R Hopcraft Metalworking 4 June 15th 04 02:29 AM
stuck chuck B.B. Metalworking 12 June 8th 04 09:37 PM