Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Some basic bowl carving

Hello all,
I've been turning for several years now - bowls, pens, treen and
whatnot and am hoping a few here can point me to some examples of some
basic bowl carving. I have some rather plain maple and wish to gussy
it up some with a bit of carving. I have a dremel and the basic
carving tips that come with it. Now I am not looking for anything
really fancy. I have seen some of the magnificent art pieces on the
web and am duly impressed. However are there any examples of some
really basic designs on bowls out there?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Kevin,

Check out Ernie Conover's book, "Turn a Bowl" It has some examples and is
a good starting point.

Good Luck,
Dan
"Kevin" wrote in message
Hello all,
I've been turning for several years now - bowls, pens, treen and
whatnot and am hoping a few here can point me to some examples of some
basic bowl carving. I have some rather plain maple and wish to gussy
it up some with a bit of carving. I have a dremel and the basic
carving tips that come with it. Now I am not looking for anything
really fancy. I have seen some of the magnificent art pieces on the
web and am duly impressed. However are there any examples of some
really basic designs on bowls out there?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sep 19, 9:32*am, Kevin wrote:
Hello all,
I've been turning for several years now - bowls, pens, treen and
whatnot and am hoping a few here can point me to some examples of some
basic bowl carving. *I have some rather plain maple and wish to gussy
it up some with a bit of carving. I have a dremel and the basic
carving tips that come with it. *Now I am not looking for anything
really fancy. I have seen some of the magnificent art pieces on the
web and am duly impressed. However are there any examples of some
really basic designs on bowls out there?

Take a look at Al Stirt's page: http://www.alstirt.com
I took a one day class that he gave here in Dallas. He uses a Fordham
(a high priced flexible shaft rotary tool) to do his carving. I have
tried it with a dremel and it works fine - just slower and the tool
heats up quickly. The interesting cross hatching is done with a bit
that cuts three parallel tracks and fits in a dremel. I bought mine
($25) from him at the class. If this looks interesting, contact me
and I will give you some step by step instructions on how it is done.