Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Signing work

I have been hobby turning for about 3 years now. I'm reaching the stage
where I am not ashamed to sign my work anymore. I know the best way to do
it is use a pyrograph pen but I don't want to go to that expense.

Any sugestions?

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom Dougall wrote:
I have been hobby turning for about 3 years now. I'm reaching the stage
where I am not ashamed to sign my work anymore. I know the best way to do
it is use a pyrograph pen but I don't want to go to that expense.

Any sugestions?

Tom

I use a Micron 03 black pen. It has archival ink and the piece can be
signed even after waxing and buffing. I put the wood type, month &
year, signature and piece number. Never any problems. I get them at
Hobby Lobby.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I've never not had any money so much
in my life.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Tom Dougall" wrote in message
I have been hobby turning for about 3 years now. I'm reaching the stage
where I am not ashamed to sign my work anymore. I know the best way to do
it is use a pyrograph pen but I don't want to go to that expense.

Any sugestions?

Tom

Hi Tom,

I go with India ink. Works great.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Stuart" wrote: Soldering iron with small bit?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Won't work. Even a so-called wood burning tool is not fine enough for small
lettering. It is possible to make a pyrography tool using a train
transformer as a power supply. You use resistance wire for the tip, and you
have to use your own ingenuity to make the handle. You can bend, pound and
file the resistance wire to make a wide variety of tips, and use set screws
to hold them. A friend of mine makes "branding irons" in various patterns,
and uses them to decorate her bowls.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arckival type pen with India ink. The sharpies will smear and smudge
with some finishes like the walnut oil I use on my bowls. The archival
type don't. I can get them at my local Fred Meyer (owned by Kroger)
grocery and everything else store.

robo hippy

On Aug 28, 9:57*pm, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
"Stuart" wrote: * Soldering iron with small bit?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Won't work. *Even a so-called wood burning tool is not fine enough for small
lettering. *It is possible to make a pyrography tool using a train
transformer as a power supply. *You use resistance wire for the tip, and you
have to use your own ingenuity to make the handle. *You can bend, pound and
file the resistance wire to make a wide variety of tips, and use set screws
to hold them. *A friend of mine makes "branding irons" in various patterns,
and uses them to decorate her bowls.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Dremel - and others - have a vibrating "engraver" - preferably with
variable speed - that work fairly well - if you have fine motor skills -
and decent light. Cindy Drozda uses one - and rubs a gold thick
toothpaste stuff in the engraved letters, then wipes off the excess -
leaving her inscribed letters in gold.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I use the Korean made Mon Ami Super Rolling pens, they work the best
for me. The ink soaks into the wood, without bleeding, enough so you
can't rub it out/off yet it's nice and clearly defined for reading.
Wax or oil finish overtop do not erase it. The really fine rolling
pens don't leave enough ink. Gel based inks hardly penetrate the wood
at all and rub off or smudge easily.

Bart.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Aug 28, 9:38*am, "Tom Dougall" wrote:
I have been hobby turning for about 3 years now. * I'm reaching the stage
where I am not ashamed to sign my work anymore. * I know the best way to do
it is use a pyrograph pen but I don't want to go to that expense.

Any sugestions?

Tom

Tom I use a burning pen, home-made, actually I have two, the one I use
most I made from a old radargun transformer, it works just fine, but I
wanted one with more power for pyrography, and made one with an old
battery charger, (new electronic ones don't work for this) I have a
write-up at the link, an old charger is pretty cheap and the rest of
the stuff I used a lot of people have laying around, but wouldn't cost
you $20.-- I'm sure.

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...ght=pyrography

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo
http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum26.html
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Signing work-another DIY Wood Vaporizer

Here's another DIY pyrography set up using a battery charger.
Includes Radio Shack part numbers. Set low, and with tips you
make, you can write and draw with it. Set HIGH and you can make
wood disappear - in a bright flash and a puff of smoke.

Watching Graeme Priddle use his version was fun - shazzam!
- and a spiral pattern appears - after your eyes have time to
recover from the flash.

watch the line wrap

http://www.svwoodturners.org/TipsTri...Vaporizer.html

charlie b

New Member just signing in Tom[_19_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 September 8th 08 02:22 AM
UH is signing off news as of Dec 31,007 William J King Woodworking 10 November 2nd 07 04:50 PM
Signing Pieces EdG Woodworking 17 July 16th 05 04:48 AM
Signing off Greybeard Metalworking 14 March 11th 05 04:12 AM