Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Rough Turning Spindle Blanks

Does anyone rough turn their spindle blanks. I am asking mainly for the
turning stock I cut myself that starts as green wood. I was thinking of
rough turning some of the partially dryed stock. I was thinking that would
save time when I go to do a project and allow it to dry faster as well. I
was concerned it might move or crack more.

I normally seal my spindle stock with gulf wax (Parrafin). I was thinking
it would rough turn it and then reseal the ends and then store it until its
ready for use.

Let me know if any others are doing this and how the results are. I do
plenty of bowls twice turned but haven't done that with green spindle stock
yet.

Thanks, John Gbur

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi John, As soon as the gum hardens, I chop the branches and bark from
green Norfolk Is. pine logs. Then I rough to round between centers with
a spindle turning gouge. Then I slather liquid dish washing soap diluted
1:2 all over the rounds. They dry without cracking if kept out of sun &
rain.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"John Gbur" wrote:

Does anyone rough turn their spindle blanks. I am asking mainly for the
turning stock I cut myself that starts as green wood. I was thinking of
rough turning some of the partially dryed stock. I was thinking that would
save time when I go to do a project and allow it to dry faster as well. I
was concerned it might move or crack more.

Yeah, I'll make cylinders form firewood if I don't have anything I need
to make right now. They go a bit oval, but they would have done that
drying anyway. They may split, but they probably would have done that
anyway, and this way you only have the work of roughing into them when
they do split. And when you need to make something, it's faster to grab
a pre-roughed cylinder and dive into making what you wanted to make than
to start with roughing the hunk of firewood.

turning blanks marc Woodturning 4 September 16th 07 01:42 PM
Turning blanks marc Woodturning 5 September 14th 07 11:17 PM
Turning Blanks marc Woodworking 6 September 13th 07 02:25 AM
mahogany turning blanks saur Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 08:23 AM
Turning Blanks? Dave Woodturning 6 May 21st 05 07:32 PM