Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Chuck question

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 18:52:22 -0500, "Ted" wrote:

My only experience is with the Oneway Talon, and I like them a lot..
I have 2.. first one started life on my Shopsmith and has since migrated to a
Jet mini, a Jet 1442 and now a Nova XP..
Bought the 2nd one a few years ago and it's been just as good..

I've used them for hundreds of pieces and never had a problem with them that I
didn't cause..

I need to buy a chuck for my lathe. The lathe has a 10 inch swing. 1" x 8tpi.

I am considering two from PSI.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC3000C.html $179.99
and for $20.00 more,
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC3000CTN.html $199.99 which is the same lathe but with a different finish. What difference does the finish make?

Then there is the vicmarc
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...arc_ 35?Args= $229.99, but with only one set of jaws

The Oneway Talon
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st..._talo n?Args= $234.99

The Teknatool Supernova2
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st... super2?Args= $169.99 plus $21.99 for threaded insert to mount it. + $191.98

The Teknatool Nova 3
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st..._nova_g3?Args= $144.99

Apprentice Chuck
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st... e_chuck?Args= $164.99
Any other suggestions in this price range or less without going to a cheaply made unit? I want to get one that is key operated.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Chuck question [email protected] Woodturning 0 March 8th 09 05:27 PM
Chuck question Boru[_2_] Woodturning 10 February 7th 08 05:21 PM
Another chuck question Rex B Metalworking 7 June 4th 05 08:10 PM
Drill Chuck / Lathe Chuck - Drill Press Question [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 29th 05 01:07 AM
Chuck question Roger Hull Metalworking 6 January 16th 04 03:31 AM