Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Doesn't the wood get dizzy from all the turning?

I wonder if the wood does get dizzy from all the turning and
if it will throw up if it's turned too much.

What do you think?

Did you ever had some sick piece of wood?
Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.crafts.woodturning

I have turned pieces of wood that smelled like some one threw up, and
since it was wet, that is what I smelled like when I was done. Does
that count?
robo hippy

On Mar 3, 5:16*pm, Jacques De Molay
wrote:
I wonder if the wood does get dizzy from all the turning and
if it will throw up if it's turned too much.

What do you think?

Did you ever had some sick piece of wood?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom tom is offline

wrote:
I wonder if the wood does get dizzy from all the turning and
if it will throw up if it's turned too much.

What do you think?

Did you ever had some sick piece of wood?

Score one for the troll... Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

troll trying to get you to respond to newsgroup de.alt.augenoptik
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Well of course it gets dizzy, anyone that turns very much wood knows that!

If it gets too dizzy, it blows chunks all over the shop! Of course, it
only does this once, because once it blows chunks, you can't put it
together again (sort of like Humpty Dumpty).

The real trick to woodturning is stopping when it is merely a little bit
dizzy.

[grin]

Jacques De Molay wrote:
I wonder if the wood does get dizzy from all the turning and
if it will throw up if it's turned too much.

What do you think?

Did you ever had some sick piece of wood?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Rick Frazier" wrote in message
ng.com...
Well of course it gets dizzy, anyone that turns very much wood knows that!

If it gets too dizzy, it blows chunks all over the shop! Of course, it
only does this once, because once it blows chunks, you can't put it
together again (sort of like Humpty Dumpty).

The real trick to woodturning is stopping when it is merely a little bit
dizzy.

[grin]

I'll preface this with a statement that I did carpentry work for a bunch of
years....

I have often said, a carpenter makes sawdust. An artist knows when to stop.

Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I've had suicidal wood more than I care to admit! I mean, one minute I'm
happily turning away and the next thing I know, the poor little guy girl?
just flings himself from my lathe, flies across the garage and thrusts
himself upon a perfectly innocent sheetrock wall! I'm starting to believe
that certain woods have self esteem issues!

Bob Crawford

"Jacques De Molay" wrote in message
I wonder if the wood does get dizzy from all the turning and
if it will throw up if it's turned too much.

What do you think?

Did you ever had some sick piece of wood?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , Bob Crawford
writes
I've had suicidal wood more than I care to admit! I mean, one minute I'm
happily turning away and the next thing I know, the poor little guy girl?
just flings himself from my lathe, flies across the garage and thrusts
himself upon a perfectly innocent sheetrock wall! I'm starting to believe
that certain woods have self esteem issues!

You forget, wood is much like us, if we spin one way we have to unwind
or we become unstable, so remember once in a wile, reverse that lathe,
to unwind

John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 12:48:32 -0600, John wrote
(in message ):

In message , Bob Crawford
writes
I've had suicidal wood more than I care to admit! I mean, one minute I'm
happily turning away and the next thing I know, the poor little guy girl?
just flings himself from my lathe, flies across the garage and thrusts
himself upon a perfectly innocent sheetrock wall! I'm starting to believe
that certain woods have self esteem issues!

You forget, wood is much like us, if we spin one way we have to unwind
or we become unstable, so remember once in a wile, reverse that lathe,
to unwind

John

you know, I actually do this. Well, the lathe keeps turning the only
direction it knows how, but I take the object off the right side of the
headstock and put it on the left end, so the direction is reversed. (a
Shopsmith) Is good for sanding, first one way, and then the other. keeps the
wood happy.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message . net, tom
koehler writes

you know, I actually do this. Well, the lathe keeps turning the only
direction it knows how, but I take the object off the right side of the
headstock and put it on the left end, so the direction is reversed. (a
Shopsmith) Is good for sanding, first one way, and then the other. keeps the
wood happy.
tom koehler

In my case, I am fortunate in a flick of a switch I can go from
6,000RPM one way to 6,000 RPM the other, but I would swear the sanded

finish is better.
--
John