Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default What do you use to sign your work.

I have been using magic markers and they sometimes (usually) come off
when applying the finish. I would like to know what other choices I
have except wood burning.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 06:17:33 -0800 (PST), Stretch
wrote:

I have been using magic markers and they sometimes (usually) come off
when applying the finish. I would like to know what other choices I
have except wood burning.

Thanks

I use a pencil. Shellac will take it off though.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Stretch wrote:
I have been using magic markers and they sometimes (usually) come off
when applying the finish. I would like to know what other choices I
have except wood burning.

Thanks

I have been using a small vibrating tool and follow up with a good
permanent ink. I stain over it and apply several coats of wipe on
oil/poly. I have done this on both red oak and hard maple. Practice
on a piece of scrap is always a good idea.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Norvin writes:

Stretch wrote:
I have been using magic markers and they sometimes (usually) come off
when applying the finish. I would like to know what other choices I
have except wood burning.

Thanks

I have been using a small vibrating tool and follow up with a good
permanent ink. I stain over it and apply several coats of wipe on
oil/poly. I have done this on both red oak and hard maple. Practice
on a piece of scrap is always a good idea.

Some people use leather or brass insets. I don't know about the best
vendor, but here's a site that sells a 1 1/2" brass medallion for $2.90
+ $170 setup charge (minimum 250 pieces)

http://www.gullassociates.com/ships-store/medalss.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
,
Stretch wrote:

I have been using magic markers and they sometimes (usually) come off
when applying the finish. I would like to know what other choices I
have except wood burning.

Thanks

Pyro, a wood burning pencil with the finest tip

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Cindy Drozda does a combination. She signs her pieces with a vibrating
engraver - then rubs a gold crayon like wax over the engraving, forcing
the "gold" down into the engraving. She then wipes the excess off the
surface. Makes his signature "pop" - and it's kind of classy.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 06:17:33 -0800 (PST), Stretch wrote:

I have been using magic markers and they sometimes (usually) come off
when applying the finish. I would like to know what other choices I
have except wood burning.

Thanks

Engraving?
Branding iron?
Spring loaded letter punch?
(Lee Valley)

I'm lucky enough to have a wife that does pyrography, (what they call wood
burning after you buy expensive stuff to do it with), and she signs, dates and
sometimes personalizes gift items for me..

I've tried lots of other ways and they all either wear off, smear with finish or
just don't show up/last..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 18, 8:17*am, Stretch wrote:
I have been using magic markers and they sometimes (usually) come off
when applying the finish. I would like to know what other choices I
have except wood burning.

Thanks

I use an ultra fine black Sharpie marker, signing after the finishing
process is complete. The Cindy D method mentioned by charlieb is
probably classier though

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:00:23 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:

Sure.. I'll post mine and Kip's on ABPW...
Snip

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Sorry, but I can no longer get ABPW.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I can resist anything but temptation.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 15:39:56 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:

mac davis wrote:
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:00:23 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:

Sure.. I'll post mine and Kip's on ABPW...
Snip

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Sorry, but I can no longer get ABPW.

ok.. so you're to cheap to pay $3 a month for a good news server ;-]

I'll email 'em to ya..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning