Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default anyone heard from MAC DAVIS

posting via Google since my posts via Teranews aren't getting through
- anyone else haviing teranews problems?

in the last big CA earthquake, I was in an area only lightly damaged -
power
was out for 3 days - I think the statement "YMMV" applies here

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:52:33 -0400, Casper wrote:

Glad to hear you are alright Mac. We had our own little problems here
in Cincinnati. Finally got power back on late last night. Been over 5
days w/o power, tv, etc., but I'm still feeling sorry for those still
waiting on power. Over 1.2 million here lost power. Hopefully we can
now get to helping pull the trees out of our neighbors' homes now.

Ain't life an adventure?

Mmm .. hot coffee .. good to be home.

`Casper

PS ... and the last thing on my mind this past week has been
candidates who visited ONLY in the sections with power!

Wow.. we didn't even have problems like that in California!

Worst quake in my lifetime had our power out for 6 hours, but some folks
went a
week or more..

They're surprisingly efficient here, maybe because the power is government
regulated..

During the Baja 1000 this year, a chopper flew into the main power line
supplying our section of Baja.. Thousands of folks with no power..
They had it fixed and power restored in 6 hours!

mac

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

When hurricane Juan went through here three years ago the nighbour across
the street had a big spruce down over the line to the house. The power pole
was bent about 45*. Really impressive. There is a breaker at the end of our
driveway that tripped cutting power to a half dozen homes, including ours. I
spoke to the power guys when they were checking things out and they said it
would be three weeks before we got power back because the tree had to be
removed before they could proceed and they were worried about a minimum 50
homes at a time. While that made sense to me, I asked what would happen if
the tree was removed. He said I could have power on Thursday, this being
Tuesday morning. I took the tree down and he was as good as his word except
that it had to be Friday because of a problem with the wires but that was
not his fault.

The tree had a massive root ball and hung on the wire to stretch it like a
bow string. It wanted to stand up, fall down and hang up the saw at the same
time. When I cut the top the cable threw it and when I cut the center of the
remainder of the trunk the ball pulled the last eight feet straight up.
Both times I ran back about twenty feet when I felt the wood start to give.
Always keep a retreat line open.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

anyone heard from MAC DAVIS skeez Woodturning 13 September 20th 08 02:21 PM
For Mac Davis Gerald Ross[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 March 31st 08 12:02 AM
Ping: Mac Davis Sonny Woodworking 4 December 11th 07 01:13 AM
Mac Davis how many ???? Jerry - OHIO Woodturning 9 December 6th 07 04:16 AM
Anyone heard fron Mac Davis? Lyndell Thompson Woodturning 3 February 25th 07 12:16 AM