Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default What do you wear when turning?

What do you wear when turning? Face shield? saftey glasses?
long sleeve shirt? turners smock? Anti vibration gloves?
I'm curious... What is really needed.
I dont wear a smock but I do always wear a face shield.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

randyswoodshoop wrote:
What do you wear when turning? Face shield? saftey glasses?
long sleeve shirt? turners smock? Anti vibration gloves?
I'm curious... What is really needed.
I dont wear a smock but I do always wear a face shield.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

I just started and quickly switched from safety glasses
to a face shield after I saw two of my blanks blow apart.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Here is what I wear when wood turning and more or less the same when metal
turning : Full safety face shield. [ some have the air cleaned units that are
best.] Wear 1. leather apron neck to near floor or 2. Lab coat (from research
lab or Dr. (stick you prod you brand) white coat. I like the Dr. one since
it is thick and with large chip catching pockets for some tools/pencils.
I like to wear boots as the Whoops might happen. Ever drop a spindle, bowl,
skew ?
I like to wear a ball cap backwards as well.
(think catcher/umpire in baseball).

Never any type of glove. None Never. Nada. A simple catch can rip off a hand.

Long sleeves are not normally done - glove effect.

And if you have long hair - have it tied back and make sure it won't blow
or drop onto the work as it would be caught an cause more than pain.

I wear carbonate glassed every day. I'm getting old enough not to grow
another eye :-) I often have glasses over them and then a hood.

Which means these - hood and glasses need to be for this job. They need
to be clear and clean. You need to see subtle changes in wood or tool.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

randyswoodshoop wrote:
What do you wear when turning? Face shield? saftey glasses?
long sleeve shirt? turners smock? Anti vibration gloves?
I'm curious... What is really needed.
I dont wear a smock but I do always wear a face shield.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Safety glasses under the face shield. I don't trust the shield to
completely stop something. I got hit by something flying off my lathe so I
am adamant about that. the shield might slow down something from breaking
my nose but I'm not so confident about a shield alone protecting my eyes.
If it's winter, I wear long sleeves but folded up to my elbows. Spring,
summer and fall I wear a tee shirt. I don't own a smock. I bought my wife
a sewing machine so she could make me one. That was 3 years ago. She's
better than I am about procrastinating.

"randyswoodshoop" wrote in message
What do you wear when turning? Face shield? saftey glasses?
long sleeve shirt? turners smock? Anti vibration gloves?
I'm curious... What is really needed.
I dont wear a smock but I do always wear a face shield.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

randyswoodshoop wrote:
What do you wear when turning? Face shield? saftey glasses?
long sleeve shirt? turners smock? Anti vibration gloves?
I'm curious... What is really needed.
I dont wear a smock but I do always wear a face shield.

Wear? Nothing like turning in the buff! ;-)

Actually, I wear a late '90s vintage AAW smock, and an Airmate 3
filter/helmet. The smock keeps the shavings & finish off the clothes,
and I've been glad I had full face protection more than once. A couple
times I wish I had a catchers bib too, but I haven't gone that far yet...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default What do you wear when turning? (almost on topic)

Flash back to 1948, high school wood shop teacher was a real stickler
for safety. A safety bulletin board was posted which each student was to
read and sign each day. Additionally, when teacher observed a safety
violation, he would blow his whistle and everything came to a halt. Students
were then to gather around for a supplemental safety lecture.

During a turning demonstration, he was hunkered over, choking the
chisel up close when we noticed his necktie fluttering on the workpiece.

Next morning a new, anonymous notice was posted on the bulletin board.
It read:

Mr. Beard; When you get your necktie caught in the lathe, please blow
whistle.

Old Chief Lynn

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sep 4, 10:49*pm, "Lynn" wrote:
SNIP

* * *Mr. Beard; When you get your necktie caught in the lathe, please blow
whistle.

Old Chief Lynn

I am *still* laughing at that one. Thanks for posting it.

BTW, I haven't seen anything from you in a while. How are things
going for you on the lathe, Lynn? Turning anything fun?

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mr. Beard; When you get your necktie caught in the lathe, please blow
whistle.

I am *still* laughing at that one. Thanks for posting it.

BTW, I haven't seen anything from you in a while. How are things
going for you on the lathe, Lynn? Turning anything fun?

Robert

Well, yes, Robert. Thanks for asking!
Two things going right now. Hacked out a nice little alder blank (very
dry
and pretty soft) had a small bowl in mind. Nice curve was appearing when
nasty catch pulled out some pretty big holes. When the holes were turned
out it was pretty small for a bowl, so turning on, looking for a shape, it
got awfully small............ so changed to making a big drawer for putting
some tools
away.... real handy. Dovetail joints are my passion, but not my best work.
after trimming away bad joints and trying again, drawer got smaller and
smaller. Well dovetail drawer is now done, looks good, but too small for the
tools.
Going back to the lathe tomorrow to see if the bowl's chips will make good
stuff
in the "Little Chief Smoker" on a little piece of salmon that has been in
the
freezer for a year or two.
I'll be back.

Old Chief Lynn

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

randyswoodshoop wrote:

What do you wear when turning? Face shield? saftey glasses?
long sleeve shirt? turners smock? Anti vibration gloves?
I'm curious... What is really needed.
I dont wear a smock but I do always wear a face shield.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Welders apron, face shield, leather glove(left) and boots.
--
Boru
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 17:10:55 -0700 (PDT), randyswoodshoop
wrote:

What do you wear when turning? Face shield? saftey glasses?
long sleeve shirt? turners smock? Anti vibration gloves?
I'm curious... What is really needed.
I dont wear a smock but I do always wear a face shield.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Sounds a bit kinky, Randy ;-]

Things that I KNOW that I should wear:

Face shield
respirator
shoes
long or 3/4 sleeves, fastened to prevent getting tangled in the lathe
hearing protection

In real life, however, as a daily turner in a warm climate, I'm usually:

barefoot

shorts

t-shirt or tank top

baseball hat, usually put on AFTER I realize my head is covered with shavings

safety glasses if I remember or am doing something that I think might throw bark
or whatever

Dust-bee-gone mask if I see a cloud of dust going into the DC

In what passes for winter here, I usually wear shoes and a short sleeve polo
shirt..

I know that I've been very lucky.. I've turned several hundred things and been
hurt a few times, but never anything that safety stuff would have prevented..
Mostly dumb stuff like getting my hand banged by a wing bowl or gluing a piece
of sandpaper to my fingers while sanding a crack filled with CA..

I've had things fall off the lathe, of course, but never seen one "launched"...
most bounce off the floor behind the lathe..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 20:49:37 -0700, "Lynn" wrote:

Flash back to 1948, high school wood shop teacher was a real stickler
for safety. A safety bulletin board was posted which each student was to
read and sign each day. Additionally, when teacher observed a safety
violation, he would blow his whistle and everything came to a halt. Students
were then to gather around for a supplemental safety lecture.

During a turning demonstration, he was hunkered over, choking the
chisel up close when we noticed his necktie fluttering on the workpiece.

Next morning a new, anonymous notice was posted on the bulletin board.
It read:

Mr. Beard; When you get your necktie caught in the lathe, please blow
whistle.

Old Chief Lynn

Well, I went to High School a few years after you did, Chief, but saw the same
thing happen..
Our lecture, however, was the teacher telling us how glad that the rules
included those snap-on ties in the shop..
He might not of been alive if he'd been wearing a normal tie..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

What do you wear when turning? Face shield? saftey glasses?
long sleeve shirt? turners smock? Anti vibration gloves?
I'm curious... What is really needed.
I dont wear a smock but I do always wear a face shield.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

I wear a face shield over my saftey glasses. I have a smock but don't
wear it.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message
,
randyswoodshoop writes
What do you wear when turning? Face shield? saftey glasses?
long sleeve shirt? turners smock? Anti vibration gloves?
I'm curious... What is really needed.
I dont wear a smock but I do always wear a face shield.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

For me it always my Trend Airshield, as even those fine cuts can produce
a bit of dust that escapes the dust collector and Room Filter, and
Already suffering fro Asthma, I don't want to add to the collection of
ailments. The Face shield provides good protection

Clothing is some tough leather boots with good grip. Cushioned floor to
reduce fatigue ( Last 2 days shavings) Mechanics overalls , I size too
small But that just means the body is not too loose, and the sleeves
are too short
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 17:10:55 -0700, randyswoodshoop wrote:

What do you wear when turning? Face shield? saftey glasses?
long sleeve shirt? turners smock? Anti vibration gloves?
I'm curious... What is really needed.
I dont wear a smock but I do always wear a face shield.

Face shield and leather apron with a turtleneck.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Em... it depends. But eye-protection always. If I am turning something
small like a pen it might just be my safety glasses. Wet probably the
combo face shield (old metal grill across the mouth). Dry, the Trend
Airshield. For clothing I have a turners leather apron or a turners
coat. If I am worried about large flying parts it the leather

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Well, I will not win any safety awards, but shorts even in winter, a
smock most of the time, a hat, and glasses. I never wear gloves
because if you use a scraper for bowl roughing, the shavings go up
over your hand, not across the top of it. I don't use a dust mask
because I turn green wood. When sanding, I have a hood that encloses
most of the bowl and a good Oneida dust collecor. I can sand black
walnut for 6 hours, and will have some dust on my smock, none on my
glasses, and none up my nose. When turning bowls, I seldom turn pieces
with cracks in them. If there is a crack, I glue it first, then turn
more slowly, and of course, stand out of the line of fire at all
times. It is possible. For roughing spindles, I do wear a facemask.
robo hippy

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found athttp://www.ralphandellen.us/rv