Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Looking at a new lathe

Hi,

Im looking to purchase a new lathe, does anyone know anything about
the laguna tools lathe?
I am also looking a a nova lathe,

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

I don't know anything about the Laguna but I used to own a Nova DVR
and I have used the Nova 1624. The Nova DVR is a very nice lathe. I
liked the Nova swivel headstock. Nova lathes runs smooth and have
fairly good power for their size. The newer DVR models have several
improvements over the one that I owned. They now have more low end
torque and a programable start up speed. Lack of these two features
was a problem for me but Teknatool has addressed the issues. Nova's
lathe stand is not very heavy. It is OK for small items but if you
plan on turning anything that is heavy and/or out of round you will
want to bolt it to the floor and beef it up with weight or better yet,
build your own stand.

Ted
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
,
randyswoodshoop wrote:

Hi,

Im looking to purchase a new lathe, does anyone know anything about
the laguna tools lathe?
I am also looking a a nova lathe,

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Check out posts on places like sawmillcreek. Sounds like customer
service sucks to the point where the head of the company was blowing off
people with issues with their lathes. Didn't impress me one bit. Even
more so when their lathe looks like a copy of the Jet, costs more, with
less warrenty.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:50:52 -0700 (PDT), randyswoodshoop
wrote:

Hi,

Im looking to purchase a new lathe, does anyone know anything about
the laguna tools lathe?
I am also looking a a nova lathe,

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

No experience with the Laguna, Randy, but I've had my Nova DVR XP for a while
now and really like it...
My last lathe was a jet 1442 VS and though it was a good lathe, the Nova is so
much better and smoother..

If you decide to go with the Nova, I'd STRONGLY recommend not getting the
"universal" stand that they try to push on you..
Spend the extra $100 or so and get the cast iron legs..
I use the lathe pretty much every day and my only regret with it is the (IMHO)
POS sheet metal stand..
I've tried adding 300 pounds of sand, but still get vibration.. and since I use
a lot of magnets to hold accessories like chuck keys and things on the stand, I
realize how damn noisy it is.. CLANG!

I'm considering modifying the cast iron legs from my Jet to fit the Nova, and
putting the Jet on the sheet metal stand..

A few of the reasons that I chose the Nova:
No belt = less vibration and more control, IMO

True digital speed control.. 5 pre-sets and up/down in 5 rpm increments

Very quiet... almost as quiet as my Jet mini

Computer monitors the spindle RPM and torque curve and keeps it constant during
heavy cuts or sanding.. It also senses a catch, not that you'll ever have one of
those), and stops the lathe..

Very easy to use a vacuum chuck with the Nova rotary valve.. about $35..

Let me know if ya have any questions, Randy..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

[...]

Thanks to everyone for your input....
I hope to be getting a new lathe before the end of th year. I will
make sure I get the cast iron legset....

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

[...]

I second all that Mac says. However, I'm not a gypsy so my stand is
bolted to two 2 x 4's and they are glued to the concrete floor with
silicone. No shaking or shimmying. No sandbag emplacements. No
concrete block revetments.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A friend in need is someone to avoid.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:05:04 -0700 (PDT), randyswoodshoop
wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your input....
I hope to be getting a new lathe before the end of th year. I will
make sure I get the cast iron legset....

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Randy.. One thing that I should have mentioned:
I don't like the fact that I can't use a remote stop switch with the Nova XP..
You can use a remote OFF switch, but that not only stops the lathe but turns off
the computer, meaning it doesn't remember the speed that you were turning..

I'd guess that this is a problem with all DSC lathes, but I only know the XP..

Gerald has added circuitry to remedy this, but not being an electrician or
wanting to void the warranty on a fairly new lathe, I haven't got the guts to
try it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your input....
I hope to be getting a new lathe before the end of th year. I will
make sure I get the cast iron legset....

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Randy.. One thing that I should have mentioned:
I don't like the fact that I can't use a remote stop switch with the Nova
XP..
You can use a remote OFF switch, but that not only stops the lathe but turns
off
the computer, meaning it doesn't remember the speed that you were turning..

You know there is a 3rd party hack that does this? Right? Teknatool
was developing their own, but stopped

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:21:01 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

You can use a remote OFF switch, but that not only stops the lathe but turns
off the computer, meaning it doesn't remember the speed that you were turning..

You know there is a 3rd party hack that does this? Right? Teknatool
was developing their own, but stopped

Yep.. a couple of them, but I think Gerald's is pretty clean and (relatively)
simple..