Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
randyswoodshoop randyswoodshoop is offline

Default Looking at a new lathe

On Aug 13, 11:19*am, mac davis wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:50:52 -0700 (PDT), randyswoodshoop
wrote:

Hi,

Im looking to purchase a new lathe, does anyone know anything about
the laguna tools lathe?
I am also looking a a nova lathe,

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

No experience with the Laguna, Randy, but I've had my Nova DVR XP for a while
now and really like it...
My last lathe was a jet 1442 VS and though it was a good lathe, the Nova is so
much better and smoother..

If you decide to go with the Nova, I'd STRONGLY recommend not getting the
"universal" stand that they try to push on you..
Spend the extra $100 or so and get the cast iron legs..
I use the lathe pretty much every day and my only regret with it is the (IMHO)
POS sheet metal stand..
I've tried adding 300 pounds of sand, but still get vibration.. and since I use
a lot of magnets to hold accessories like chuck keys and things on the stand, I
realize how damn noisy it is.. CLANG!

I'm considering modifying the cast iron legs from my Jet to fit the Nova, and
putting the Jet on the sheet metal stand..

A few of the reasons that I chose the Nova:
No belt = less vibration and more control, IMO

True digital speed control.. 5 pre-sets and up/down in 5 rpm increments

Very quiet... almost as quiet as my Jet mini

Computer monitors the spindle RPM and torque curve and keeps it constant during
heavy cuts or sanding.. It also senses a catch, not that you'll ever have one of
those), and stops the lathe..

Very easy to use a vacuum chuck with the Nova rotary valve.. about $35..

Let me know if ya have any questions, Randy..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Thanks to everyone for your input....
I hope to be getting a new lathe before the end of th year. I will
make sure I get the cast iron legset....

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com