Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Buffing Question

Seems I recall someone stated that there was types of wood that it is best
not to use one of the buffing compounds on (the diamond, I think). Anyone
have experience with types of wood that they found was best not touched by
one of the buffing compounds? I'd rather learn from your mistakes than from
my own.
Asking primarily because I've some beautiful walnut bowls nearing ready for
buffing and was afraid that the diamond compound could mar the finish. Any
help will be appreciated.

JD

--
He that will make a good use of any part
of his life must allow a large portion of it

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"JD" wrote:

Seems I recall someone stated that there was types of wood that it is best
not to use one of the buffing compounds on (the diamond, I think). Anyone
have experience with types of wood that they found was best not touched by
one of the buffing compounds? I'd rather learn from your mistakes than from
my own.
Asking primarily because I've some beautiful walnut bowls nearing ready for
buffing and was afraid that the diamond compound could mar the finish. Any
help will be appreciated.

JD

I avoid WD on dark open-pore woods like Walnut, as there is a tendency
to leave little white specs on the wood

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:46:21 -0500, "JD" wrote:

Seems I recall someone stated that there was types of wood that it is best
not to use one of the buffing compounds on (the diamond, I think). Anyone
have experience with types of wood that they found was best not touched by
one of the buffing compounds? I'd rather learn from your mistakes than from
my own.
Asking primarily because I've some beautiful walnut bowls nearing ready for
buffing and was afraid that the diamond compound could mar the finish. Any
help will be appreciated.

JD

If I'm buffing any oily wood with pores, I use the 2nd wheel without charging it
with WD.. ESPECIALLY Padauk!

Nothing like a nice orange bowl with tiny white dots all over it.. NOT

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
In article ,
"JD" wrote:

Seems I recall someone stated that there was types of wood that it is
best
not to use one of the buffing compounds on (the diamond, I think). Anyone
have experience with types of wood that they found was best not touched
by
one of the buffing compounds? I'd rather learn from your mistakes than
from
my own.
Asking primarily because I've some beautiful walnut bowls nearing ready
for
buffing and was afraid that the diamond compound could mar the finish.
Any
help will be appreciated.

JD

I avoid WD on dark open-pore woods like Walnut, as there is a tendency
to leave little white specs on the wood

--

if you want a mirror shine, you build up some lacquer on your object, then
wet sand down to 600 and then buff - I just use automotive polishing