Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Getting back on the horse

I would like to hear comments from people what they do when a hollow
form shatters on the lathe. I had my Sorby "Texan" tool break between
the shaft and the handle on Saturday and it exploded half the top off
my latest hollow form which was gargantuan, and I was really looking
forward to the new masterpiece. It is large, unusual, difficult,
pushing my abilities, but I was succeeding and was half done with the
hollowing when this happened.

In a high risk/high payoff venture such as this there are bound to be
disappointments. What do you do to alleviate the pain and get back on
the horse?

I find sometimes it's good to have another piece nearby to get working
on it right away.
Sometimes I see that my shop has become so cluttered with the tools I
got out for the project I have to clean up before I can work ,but in
doing so, I make room, clear my head and sometimes find things I
thought were missing, or forgot about, and find new inspiration there.

What about resurrection of the exploded piece? I have so much work in
this, and it is so unusual and spectacular I think it's worth
finishing and gluing the jigsaw puzzle back together. Even with scars,
I'll enjoy having it around. I have done this before and have not
regretted the repair work, even though it won't be as valuable as a
pristine piece. What do you do?

Horse Art [email protected] UK diy 0 December 16th 07 02:24 PM
2 horse or 3/4 horse Rick Samuel Woodworking 14 July 14th 07 01:00 PM
Horse power, horse hockey boorite Woodworking 15 September 22nd 06 03:41 PM
Driftwood horse Joe Barta Woodworking 0 January 9th 06 04:57 PM
Building code: Electrical boxes back-to-back, how many _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 1 March 15th 04 07:34 PM