Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Christmas Ornament Project

I have added a new project for intermediate/advanced turners. There is a
beginner one in the works and will be up in a day or two. I am not happy
with the pictures yet and may have to retake them. Ouch.

In the meantime this is a great project for Christmas and goes well with the
icicles you may already have practice on. Bob Rosand showed me these years
ago and they are still a favorite for me. Enjoy

http://aroundthewoods.com/projects/i...rnament01.html

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

http://aroundthewoods.com/projects/i...le/biornament0...

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canadahttp://aroundthewoods.comhttp://roundopinions.blogspot.com

Darrell,
Any chance of providing an alternate link that shows it all as one web
page? This would be very handy for printing out the instruction to
take out to the shop with me.

-Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Darrell, As always your project is clearly understood, practical and
good looking. I mean your tutorial, but it also describes our wives.

One minor point about the icicles. I know you said _About 5 1/2 in. long
blanks, but since it's scrap, making them 6 1/2 in. will allow most
stock 6 in. tool rests to fit between chuck and tail center for less
tool overhang.

I'm a Scot with the generosity removed so it must be hard for y'all to
believe that I'd waste 1/2 in. of scrap.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

nice and elegant. well done.
btw, not quite sure why you hollowed the ball. could have been solid
as well.
More please...
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The ball is hollow to reduce weight on the tree limbs. A solid ball of maple
burl, for example, is going to provide a lot of weight. I plan to do a video
of these but it will be a bit in the making. Positioning the camera is a
bear. When I set up the shop it was mostly for turning, a little for flat
work, and not at all for photography or videography. Shortsighted or what,
eh?

--
"Max63" wrote in message
nice and elegant. well done.
btw, not quite sure why you hollowed the ball. could have been solid
as well.
More please...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
The ball is hollow to reduce weight on the tree limbs. A solid ball of
maple burl, for example, is going to provide a lot of weight. I plan to do
a video of these but it will be a bit in the making. Positioning the
camera is a bear. When I set up the shop it was mostly for turning, a
little for flat work, and not at all for photography or videography.
Shortsighted or what, eh?

My treasured spouse complains that if I wanted the camera angles I tell her
I want, I should have arranged the shop accordingly. Fortunately, almost
anyone capable of doing the ornament itself will be able to figure out
what's going on pretty easily.

Many ways to flay that feline - lots of them on line for the searching.
Your method is much more elaborate than mine.