Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Plum wood

Has anyone turned any Plum wood and how did it do?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

racing John wrote:
Has anyone turned any Plum wood and how did it do?

I have a 12" X 8' peace drying right now myself. Also would like to
know how it turnes.

Lee
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I rescued a some pieces of a small tree that a neighbor had blow down, and
have turned a few pieces. It's darn nice.

The tree I used had had a hard life, so there were lots of bark inclusions,
funny growth patterns etc. It cuts easily, smoothes up well, and finishes
like a cross between cherry and walnut as far as color.

I had a hard time keeping the bark on it, in many cases had to perform a
bark transplant to get the look I wanted.

It splits--easily. I turned it rough and let it dry, and found that I had
to put it in a paper bag, and for best results put anchorseal on the exposed
end grain. (I do that on the outside only, so that it remains wet and
flexible, while the inside of the bowl dries and shrinks.

Enjoy!

Old Guy

"Lee Tollett" wrote in message
racing John wrote:
Has anyone turned any Plum wood and how did it do?

I have a 12" X 8' peace drying right now myself. Also would like to know
how it turnes.

Lee

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

A friend of mine cut down a plum tree and gave me the wood. It was
not very big but I was able to turn about ten small bowls from the
wood. By the time I got the wood home it had already started to
check so I turned them immediately while the wood was still green.
They warped a bit as they dried but people seemed to like the wood and
the warp. They all sold right away.

Ted

On Nov 2, 6:20 am, (racing John) wrote:
Has anyone turned any Plum wood and how did it do?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Plum has beautiful colors, reds, orange, pink, purple. The sap wood
starts out white, and goes yellow to orange as it oxidizes. It cuts
wonderfully, a nice smooth even grain. The ornamental plums have a lot
of bark inclusions which make for nice natural edge bowls. The
fruiting trees tend to be smoother on the outside, and make for better
utility bowls. It does like to check pretty quickly.
robo hippy