Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turn it or bin it?

I turn anything. If I think I can get something from a piece of wood on the
lathe it goes. At times it works, sometimes not. Cracked, part rotten,
shake, whatever. Is this considered wrong? A friend mentioned that maybe I
should be more selective but I don`t know, what do ye think?
--
Boru

Slack Linux #328989
http://counter.li.org
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Boru wrote:
I turn anything. If I think I can get something from a piece of wood on the
lathe it goes. At times it works, sometimes not. Cracked, part rotten,
shake, whatever. Is this considered wrong? A friend mentioned that maybe I
should be more selective but I don`t know, what do ye think?

If you are having fun and learning from it, why stop?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Of course you should be more selective. That way you will miss the
opportunity to explore woods that some others may never have even considered
only to find that it is something special. Your skills at working with
these less selective pieces will only have to improve to work with less than
perfect wood that may even carry over to those nice pieces of wood that you
paid several hundred dollars for. Yes, be much more selective and turn
everything that comes into your hand and have fun.

brian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

Some of my best pieces have come from wood that I came close to
burning. You never know when you are going to be nicely surprised.
Sometimes rotten, gnarly, knotty, cracked, or bug infested is just
another word for character. Some of my most expensive pieces are
from this group. Some people love that kind of stuff. You never know
for sure until you turn it, sand it and finish it how its going to
turn out. If you do enough of this kind of thing then you will learn
to anticipate potential character.

Ted

On Nov 1, 7:49 pm, Boru wrote:
I turn anything. If I think I can get something from a piece of wood on the
lathe it goes. At times it works, sometimes not. Cracked, part rotten,
shake, whatever. Is this considered wrong? A friend mentioned that maybe I
should be more selective but I don`t know, what do ye think?
--
Boru

Slack Linux #328989http://counter.li.org

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:49:00 +0000, Boru wrote:

I turn anything. If I think I can get something from a piece of wood on the
lathe it goes. At times it works, sometimes not. Cracked, part rotten,
shake, whatever. Is this considered wrong? A friend mentioned that maybe I
should be more selective but I don`t know, what do ye think?

Everyone is different, that's what makes it interesting..

For years, I thought you had to buy kiln dried blanks to turn stuff... Then I
tried firewood and never went back..

Cracked? Pithy? knots?
that's character... and what folks like to buy..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I thought I was right. Thanks for the replies.

Boru

Slack Linux #328989
http://counter.li.org
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Boru wrote:
I turn anything. If I think I can get something from a piece of wood on the
lathe it goes. At times it works, sometimes not. Cracked, part rotten,
shake, whatever. Is this considered wrong? A friend mentioned that maybe I
should be more selective but I don`t know, what do ye think?

Simple pleasures in life are getting harder to find so whatever turns
(you on).

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I think that you need to assess the end result for the turning before
determining what to do with a piece of wood. If you are turning a structural
piece like a chair rung or leg, use only good, sound wood. For a decorative
piece any wood that has so called that actually add to the character of the
peice are good. As far as learning goes, what we do is extremely tactile and
learning to turn around or through knots, cracks, voids and woods of varying
texturesis part of the charm of less than perfect wood. Consider a burl, the
decorative turner's dream wood. Here the notion of straight grain is absurd
and there are likely to be cracks and bark inclusions everywhere. Turn it.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate