Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Digital Protractor for Segmenting Turning

Can anyone suggest a brand and source of a good digital protractor for
precise measuring of angles for segmented turning?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Greg Lyman" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a brand and source of a good digital protractor for
precise measuring of angles for segmented turning?

Actually no. I use math, a digial micro for length, a CMS and finish
with a disk-sander that has a tuned slider-table-stop block.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I don't think there is such a thing, short of tools for setting up space
vehicles. We have tried some of the digital levels on the market,
and they do READ to nice, sometimes high degrees of accuracy, but,
unfortunately, they aren't really that accurate. Get a sine bar.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

Greg Lyman wrote:

Can anyone suggest a brand and source of a good digital protractor for
precise measuring of angles for segmented turning?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Greg you can get Vernier Protractors which are very accurate and should give
you what you require?

Riichard
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

"Greg Lyman" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest a brand and source of a good digital protractor for
precise measuring of angles for segmented turning?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
In article ,
"Greg Lyman" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a brand and source of a good digital protractor for
precise measuring of angles for segmented turning?

Actually no. I use math, a digial micro for length, a CMS and finish
with a disk-sander that has a tuned slider-table-stop block.

Gimmicks are all we long-term tool collectors have to acquire now, and this
one seems promising.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=131-132

Or this one to calibrate the saw that makes the jigs.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,240,41064

See Arch's measurement post. It's not the measuring that counts, but the
doing. You have to make a machine as capable as your measurement device to
make it worthwhile.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , Greg Lyman says...

Can anyone suggest a brand and source of a good digital protractor for
precise measuring of angles for segmented turning?

Greg,

You can buy a reasonably good dial bevel protractor on eBay for $19.95, similar
to eBay's item number 140170927217. I bought several different kinds of bevel
protractors and have found that this one is the most accurate and easiest to
use.

This type uses a dial scale rather than a vernier scale. The dial scale reads
in degrees and minutes so a calculator is handy to convert minutes to decimal
degrees and vice versa. The smallest scale graduation is 5 minutes, which is
..08 degrees.

I have an article on my website about bevel protractors and the minutes to
degrees conversion: http://www.turnedwood.com/techniques.html

If you buy one of these dial bevel protractors, it's a good idea to check the
protractor against a good square to see if it needs to be calibrated (or
returned if it's really far off).

Protractor Bill Waller Woodworking 8 March 20th 06 01:15 PM
Protractor(2) bent Woodworking 8 March 12th 06 07:03 PM
Protractor bent Woodworking 0 March 11th 06 10:07 AM
I need a formula for segmenting a circle Duane Bozarth Woodworking 59 July 1st 05 03:59 AM
I need a formula for segmenting a circle (corrected post) Morris Dovey Woodworking 8 June 27th 05 02:27 PM