Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Neelley Kevin Neelley is offline

Default Digital Protractor for Segmenting Turning

In article , Greg Lyman says...

Can anyone suggest a brand and source of a good digital protractor for
precise measuring of angles for segmented turning?

Greg,

You can buy a reasonably good dial bevel protractor on eBay for $19.95, similar
to eBay's item number 140170927217. I bought several different kinds of bevel
protractors and have found that this one is the most accurate and easiest to
use.

This type uses a dial scale rather than a vernier scale. The dial scale reads
in degrees and minutes so a calculator is handy to convert minutes to decimal
degrees and vice versa. The smallest scale graduation is 5 minutes, which is
..08 degrees.

I have an article on my website about bevel protractors and the minutes to
degrees conversion: http://www.turnedwood.com/techniques.html

If you buy one of these dial bevel protractors, it's a good idea to check the
protractor against a good square to see if it needs to be calibrated (or
returned if it's really far off).