Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Confirming and/or denying what wev'e been told

It's still a bit hot and humid in S. Fl and getting close to indian
summer in other places. Sort of a time out period for serious
woodturning between the long hot summer and the red & yellow leaves and
smoky air days with cool nights of fall. Did someone say football, world
series and Halloween? Nevermind the poet's "day in June". These are my
perfect days.

For those who have time, bravado and curiosity, How about deliberately
testing some established turning 'yes-yes's and 'no-no's over the next
few days and reporting your results. Won't change many minds, but might
help to corroborate or dispel a few of our givens and rules by authority
and repetition.

Remembering common sense and obvious safety precautions what woodturning
facts, faiths or myths have you wondered about and wanted to affirm or
discard on your own? Maybe you already have. If so, please share your
findings among friends.

Spindle speeds, sanding speeds, lagging or leading bevels and flutes,
spindle heights, worn sandpaper, rubbing the bevel etc. are questionable
old dogs. Files for scrapers and free hand tooling and sharpening
without a tool rest are iffy, but may have their place. What advice do
you want to test or confirmed in the school of hard catches?

Just a little let up for some of us between kickoff and the first pitch,
maybe even before trick or treat. Then we can begin
making our annual supply of Christmas ornaments and S.S. Niles bottle
stoppers.
Probably using the advice we were taught.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ebd ebd is offline

The tool that I usw most is a 1 1/4" forged gouge (european style).
It's called a roughing gouge and is suggested for roughing down
spindles. It's no where near as "U" shaped as common roughing gouges.
More like a very hefty spindle gouge in cross section. I've ground the
wings back to avoid catches and use it extensively on both the outside
and the inside of bowls. It makes for a beautiful sheer cut. I use it
both rim to center and center to rim with clean results and virtually
no catches, certainly none of any consequence.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"ebd" wrote in message
ups.com...
The tool that I usw most is a 1 1/4" forged gouge (european style).
It's called a roughing gouge and is suggested for roughing down
spindles. It's no where near as "U" shaped as common roughing gouges.
More like a very hefty spindle gouge in cross section. I've ground the
wings back to avoid catches and use it extensively on both the outside
and the inside of bowls. It makes for a beautiful sheer cut. I use it
both rim to center and center to rim with clean results and virtually
no catches, certainly none of any consequence.

You've rediscovered what was the only choice for a thousand years. Works
well, as it always did, but it can present some clearance problems inside.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Milton and Wohler (1919) describe the wood turning gouge as being round
nosed instead of straight across as in the case of a carvind gouge
(http://aroundthewoods.com/book1/page007.html). Their pictures confirm it
being more like our spindle gouges than roughing gouges although they also
present it as the roughing tool of choice.
(http://aroundthewoods.com/book1/page016.html)
While I have used large spindle gouges for roughing and for that matter have
used skews, I still prefer the roughing gouge or for large items a 1/2"
Oland.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"George" wrote in message
. net...

"ebd" wrote in message
ups.com...
The tool that I usw most is a 1 1/4" forged gouge (european style).
It's called a roughing gouge and is suggested for roughing down
spindles. It's no where near as "U" shaped as common roughing gouges.
More like a very hefty spindle gouge in cross section. I've ground the
wings back to avoid catches and use it extensively on both the outside
and the inside of bowls. It makes for a beautiful sheer cut. I use it
both rim to center and center to rim with clean results and virtually
no catches, certainly none of any consequence.

You've rediscovered what was the only choice for a thousand years. Works
well, as it always did, but it can present some clearance problems inside.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ebd ebd is offline

it can present some clearance problems inside.

It helps to have various curved and custom tool rests on hand. But
you're right - I'm not going to be getting rid of my bowl gouges
anytime soon.