Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default OT dogs and saddness

Today we have to put our 8yr old Rotweiller down. She's had lymphoma sarcoma
cancer and this is the end of the line. She's been with the wife and me
since we got married. She's a like a child of the family. We trained her
carefully and her behavior has always been outstanding.

I've prayed for wisdom and guidance for determining this final day. It's
rough when you're the one in control of that destiny.

She's been the lovingest, smartest dog of all my 65 years. This will hurt.

TomNie

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom Nie wrote:

Today we have to put our 8yr old Rotweiller down. She's had lymphoma
sarcoma cancer and this is the end of the line. She's been with the wife
and me since we got married. She's a like a child of the family. We
trained her carefully and her behavior has always been outstanding.

I've prayed for wisdom and guidance for determining this final day. It's
rough when you're the one in control of that destiny.

She's been the lovingest, smartest dog of all my 65 years. This will hurt.

TomNie

We put our Springer down 2 years ago, his pic is still on the fridge, damn
dog still breaks my heart when I look at it.

Stay strong.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom, Nothing I can say will ease the hurt, but I think your saying it
here will as you give you faithful friend one last kindness. Most of
us have gone through the same sadness that you and your wife are going
through today. Many of us have wept and were not ashamed and your post
is not OT among your friends here.

You will come to remembering the good times, but not today. How we deal
with animals mirrors how we deal with people and that deciding if it's
now time isn't easy for you is a reflection of your good character.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
news
Today we have to put our 8yr old Rotweiller down. She's had lymphoma
sarcoma cancer and this is the end of the line. She's been with the wife
and me since we got married. She's a like a child of the family. We
trained her carefully and her behavior has always been outstanding.

I've prayed for wisdom and guidance for determining this final day. It's
rough when you're the one in control of that destiny.

She's been the lovingest, smartest dog of all my 65 years. This will hurt.

My response to the vet when she asked if we would like to leave when she put
down our beloved borzoi was that she would never have left us, and I would
never leave her to die alone. We've always had two dogs since we married,
so there have been several sad events. Won't make the next, our 15-year old
lab any easier, but we will not be without a dog. My advice is to get a new
companion soon.

Mom went two weeks ago. Alzheimer's took most of her before that, though
one of her great comforts was our old lab. Mom used to sneak her food
inside her napkin, and never failed to smile and pet her or the big guy as
she walked by. She didn't know who we were to her when she went, but she
loved us and our pets until the last. Never had to live with strangers, a
promise I had made her when she was first diagnosed. Hospice is a wonderful
organization.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom Nie wrote:
Today we have to put our 8yr old Rotweiller down. She's had lymphoma sarcoma
cancer and this is the end of the line. She's been with the wife and me
since we got married. She's a like a child of the family. We trained her
carefully and her behavior has always been outstanding.

I've prayed for wisdom and guidance for determining this final day. It's
rough when you're the one in control of that destiny.

She's been the lovingest, smartest dog of all my 65 years. This will hurt.

TomNie

Tom, making this decision speaks well of you. To keep her around would
be selfish, to let her go is the final gift you can give her. In the
wild, things would have ended long ago, so she's relying you to give her
the release that is her due. You are doing the right thing to repay her
loyalty to you, given without consideration of the cost, with your own
loyalty to her, given despite the cost.

It's a tough call ... but I think you are making the right one.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000767-2, 08/20/2007
Tested on: 8/20/2007 4:16:07 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Yeah, George, we were with her through it all and even afterwards. Man, it
brings tears to my eyes.
"...she would never have left us..." says it well. Such a Godly gift.

Pam took half a day off and we walked down to the beech trees together and
sat around a table. She loved to be against my feet or on them while Pam
petted her. So, we sat like that for awhile and we all enjoyed the woods and
the time together. Then Moxie could hardly make it back up the hill to the
house. We stopped a lot - her with her cancer and me with my emphysema. Then
I went down and did some turning to pass the time until the vet appointment.
They were great. Used a skew, Charlie, cause nothing demands attention like
that devil.

Thanks, guys, for the thoughts.

TomNie

"George" wrote in message
et...

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom:

Have said it before and say it again - if you want to be a diplomat,
get cat - if you want a loyal companion who wants nothing but to
please you and would die for you, get a dog.

You've probably shared more ups and downs with your dog than any
other living thing on the planet, including friends and family. So it's
understandable that the decision to free her from pain and suffering
is a really tough one - for you.

But who of us would not wish to leave this life by falling asleep,
free from pain and suffering, secure in the arms of someone who
obviously loves us and cares enough to make our passing as easy
and comfortable as possible.

Convey the love you have for her as she goes - and cry later because
you miss her. And remember her over the coming years with fondness
and affection - even if that sometimes may bring a feeling of loss
- for those fond memories will surely cause many more smiles than
tears. And I'm betting there will be some Laugh Out Loud memories
that will pop up when you least expect it - perhaps during a church
service?

You're doing what's best for your friend - though it is hard on you.
Sometimes that's what friendship means.

And come spring - should a puppy become available . . .

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Tom Nie" wrote in
news
Today we have to put our 8yr old Rotweiller down. She's had lymphoma
sarcoma cancer and this is the end of the line. snip

Tom

We lost our beloved Simon at age 8 to Mast Cell Carcinoma. He lasted only
three weeks from the diagnosis. His memorial is at www.simoogle.com Two
months after his death a free Weimaraner appeared in our local paper and
"Schuster" has bee with us since. No one will ever replace Simon, but my
"Baby Simon" comes pretty close.

Do a Google search for the poem Rainbow Bridge. It helps.

Take care.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

What can I say Tom? Sorry doesn't do it, but it is the best I can do. Been
there.

Darrell

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
news
Today we have to put our 8yr old Rotweiller down. She's had lymphoma
sarcoma cancer and this is the end of the line. She's been with the wife
and me since we got married. She's a like a child of the family. We
trained her carefully and her behavior has always been outstanding.

I've prayed for wisdom and guidance for determining this final day. It's
rough when you're the one in control of that destiny.

She's been the lovingest, smartest dog of all my 65 years. This will hurt.

TomNie

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 21 aug, 02:10, "Tom Nie" wrote:
Yeah, George, we were with her through it all and even afterwards. Man, it
brings tears to my eyes.
"...she would never have left us..." says it well. Such a Godly gift.

Pam took half a day off and we walked down to the beech trees together and
sat around a table. She loved to be against my feet or on them while Pam
petted her. So, we sat like that for awhile and we all enjoyed the woods and
the time together. Then Moxie could hardly make it back up the hill to the
house. We stopped a lot - her with her cancer and me with my emphysema. Then
I went down and did some turning to pass the time until the vet appointment.
They were great. Used a skew, Charlie, cause nothing demands attention like
that devil.

Thanks, guys, for the thoughts.

TomNie

"George" wrote in message

et...

Thanks for sharing this!

Gerard.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Tom,

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Rest assured you have done
the best you can for her and take comfort in that... I've lost two friends
of mine in recent years (both rescue dogs), "Fraulein" a 19 year, 5 and a
half month old Black Labrador and "Nutmeg", a 16 year, 5 month old Yellow
Labrador. Both were like children to me and were the best pups you could
have ever asked for. When the time is right, a new pup may come into your
life when you least expect it...

"Hannah", a Black Flat Coat Labrador and "Reese", a Yellow
Labrador/American Bloodhound mix (both rescue dogs as well) have made a home
with us now. It's hard to loose a friend, but if and when the time is right
to get another dog, you will know and another pup will have the opportunity
for a good life with a loving friend. Take care.

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

On 8/20/07 10:28 AM, in article , "Tom Nie"
wrote:

Today we have to put our 8yr old Rotweiller down. She's had lymphoma sarcoma
cancer and this is the end of the line. She's been with the wife and me
since we got married. She's a like a child of the family. We trained her
carefully and her behavior has always been outstanding.

I've prayed for wisdom and guidance for determining this final day. It's
rough when you're the one in control of that destiny.

She's been the lovingest, smartest dog of all my 65 years. This will hurt.

TomNie

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi, Tom.

I think I was closer to my old German Shepherd than I am to some of my
family. When I was a young man he went with me to work every day when
I was a house framer, so we literally spent all day together. He was
a buddy, a companion, and never wanted anything more than my company.

I had a great vet that helped me when it was his time. He reminded me
that my end of the bargain was to take care of him by doing the things
he couldn't do. So it was my responsibility to him to take him to on
that last ride to the vet, to make sure he didn't suffer needlessly.

I couldn't imagine things without him, so I have his ashes in an urn
with his collar draped on it on top of my fireplace mantle. His
picture is next to it.

The thing I found when I got another dog is that they are all
different and endear you to them in other ways. My old Shepherd was a
mean old cuss, and we suited each other right down to the ground. But
after a trip to the Humane Society to get another pup, we found a
slightly abused animal that was timid and nervous, but really sweet.

He loved to play, just hang around, and was glad to be doing anything
you were doing as long as that wasn't giving him a bath. He blossomed
like a flower with some good care and attention. He was actually more
of a companion to LOML than he was to me, although he was a friend to
anyone with a doggie treat.

We had him for 15 years, and just put him down last month. He sits in
the entertainment center now, in his urn, with his picture and
collar. I will always remember him as a dog with the best disposition
I have ever seen.

Soon it will be time for another trip to the Humane Society and time
for a new pup. I am not in a hurry... I seem to go a bit between the
animals. But it is true, a new dog doesn't make you forget about the
old one, but it does start the experience (good and bad!) over again.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:24:06 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi, Tom.

I think I was closer to my old German Shepherd than I am to some of my
family. When I was a young man he went with me to work every day when
I was a house framer, so we literally spent all day together. He was
a buddy, a companion, and never wanted anything more than my company.

Yep. I've got an old collie/shepard mix that I've had for about 5
years longer than I've known my wife... he was my work buddy when I
was doing construction as well, and it'll be a hard day when he goes.
He's definately on the far end of his life, but hopefully he'll hang
in there for a while yet- I'll sure miss him when he goes (with the
exception of the constantly shedding coat, of course.) But, we've got
two more (beagles this time around) that are much younger, and here's
to hoping that helps take the edge off.

The thing I found when I got another dog is that they are all
different and endear you to them in other ways. My old Shepherd was a
mean old cuss, and we suited each other right down to the ground. But
after a trip to the Humane Society to get another pup, we found a
slightly abused animal that was timid and nervous, but really sweet.

He loved to play, just hang around, and was glad to be doing anything
you were doing as long as that wasn't giving him a bath. He blossomed
like a flower with some good care and attention. He was actually more
of a companion to LOML than he was to me, although he was a friend to
anyone with a doggie treat.

That's one of the better things in life- watching a shelter dog come
out of his shell and start displaying a personality. We got one of
our beagles after a fire at the pound, and he was a wreck for quite a
while- biting at the least provacation, and generally afraid of
everything. But now that we've had him a few years, he's really
turned into a fine pet.

Anyhow, sorry to hear about your loss, Tom- I know our dogs are part
of the family, and it's always hard. Seems like they live just long
enough for you to get really attached to them, and then they've got to
go. On the bright side, with only a few rare exceptions, there are a
million good dogs to choose from- sometimes it seems like they're
better people than we are!

OT dangerous dogs [email protected] Woodworking 16 November 23rd 05 07:15 PM
OT dangerous dogs Toller Woodworking 0 November 17th 05 11:00 PM
OT dangerous dogs alexy Woodworking 2 November 17th 05 10:03 PM
OT dangerous dogs no(SPAM)vasys Woodworking 0 November 17th 05 09:47 PM
OT dangerous dogs Morris Dovey Woodworking 0 November 17th 05 08:38 PM