Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default OT dogs and saddness

Hi, Tom.

I think I was closer to my old German Shepherd than I am to some of my
family. When I was a young man he went with me to work every day when
I was a house framer, so we literally spent all day together. He was
a buddy, a companion, and never wanted anything more than my company.

I had a great vet that helped me when it was his time. He reminded me
that my end of the bargain was to take care of him by doing the things
he couldn't do. So it was my responsibility to him to take him to on
that last ride to the vet, to make sure he didn't suffer needlessly.

I couldn't imagine things without him, so I have his ashes in an urn
with his collar draped on it on top of my fireplace mantle. His
picture is next to it.

The thing I found when I got another dog is that they are all
different and endear you to them in other ways. My old Shepherd was a
mean old cuss, and we suited each other right down to the ground. But
after a trip to the Humane Society to get another pup, we found a
slightly abused animal that was timid and nervous, but really sweet.

He loved to play, just hang around, and was glad to be doing anything
you were doing as long as that wasn't giving him a bath. He blossomed
like a flower with some good care and attention. He was actually more
of a companion to LOML than he was to me, although he was a friend to
anyone with a doggie treat.

We had him for 15 years, and just put him down last month. He sits in
the entertainment center now, in his urn, with his picture and
collar. I will always remember him as a dog with the best disposition
I have ever seen.

Soon it will be time for another trip to the Humane Society and time
for a new pup. I am not in a hurry... I seem to go a bit between the
animals. But it is true, a new dog doesn't make you forget about the
old one, but it does start the experience (good and bad!) over again.

Robert