Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Penn State grinder guide?

I can't seem to get the hang of sharpening gouges.
Penn State has a guide setup for about $125. While expensive, it is
probably cheaper than grinding my gouges away; if it works.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcgrind4.html

Has anyone tried it? PS is, in my experience, right up there with Harbor
Freight for quality; but sometimes even HF comes through.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Toller,
I'd go with the Oneway or one of the similar designs. The extending arm plus
the angle jig setup combine to get your wings and tip angles consistent
whether bowl or spindle grinds.

BTW if you will take a new grinder wheel and get everything all setup for
just the right grinds, then take a piece of say 1/4" plywood and imagine a
COMMA (,). Take the pointed end and place in your extended arm. Take the
other end and lay alongside the grinding wheel - trace the outline of the
wheel on it. Then cut away the excess. Ends up looking like a half moon
comet

Result is a template that immediately allows you to either setup another
grinder when away from your shop or allows for the wear as the wheel
diameter decreases. It also prevents you from being confused between bowl
and spindle settings on the extending arm. You're left with marking your
Oneway jig or making a couple of jigs. Only real difference at this point is
the Oneway is adjustable to try other grinds and the homemades are fixed
settings. YMMV

I don't remember what I paid for the Oneway but I'd pay it again. Look into
it and also see if you can get a club discount. Klingspor, around here, will
do that for club members.

TomNie

"Toller" wrote in message
I can't seem to get the hang of sharpening gouges.
Penn State has a guide setup for about $125. While expensive, it is
probably cheaper than grinding my gouges away; if it works.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcgrind4.html

Has anyone tried it? PS is, in my experience, right up there with Harbor
Freight for quality; but sometimes even HF comes through.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Toller
How about making your own? Less than $5.00 and it works a charm. Sorry,
nothing to sell you but the instructions are free. :-)
http://aroundthewoods.com/sharpening01.html

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Toller" wrote in message
I can't seem to get the hang of sharpening gouges.
Penn State has a guide setup for about $125. While expensive, it is
probably cheaper than grinding my gouges away; if it works.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcgrind4.html

Has anyone tried it? PS is, in my experience, right up there with Harbor
Freight for quality; but sometimes even HF comes through.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

just in case, try these links
http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips...er-sharpen.pdf
Turning Topics: Sharpening Gouges, by Jerry Glaser, from Woodworker West,
Mar./Apr. 1997, pp. 39-42.
http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/sharpen.pdf
specifically, see figure 5 in this article
http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/glaser3b.shtml

"William Noble" wrote in message
.. .
and there was a diagram of the Glaser tool grinding thingie posted on this
NG a few weeks ago - that one is my favorite and very different from the
other designs.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tww tww is offline

Another option is the Tru-Grind Sharpening System from Craft Supplies
USA for roughly the same price as mentioned in the first post.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Something I really need to say...

If the rig in the photo from the PS web site isn't of the Oneway
grinding system, then it is of a knockoff. Knockoffs bring lower prices
and for that reason may seem to be a good thing for us. On the other
hand, the fact that it can be done so easily and the fact that there is
a ready market for such knockoffs assures us that innovators and
innovations will be fewer and farther between. Those innovators have
moved the 'technology' we woodturners are using at a startling pace,
considering the long history of woodturning -- the acceleration in the
last 20 years or so has been remarkable. Do you want it to continue?
You decide that you don't every time you buy a knockoff product.

I have a product on the market (not Stubby lathes which I also sell)
which I developed because I thought it was a good idea, nobody else was
making it, and I've sold a bunch --
http://stubbylatheusa.com/Convertibl...Center.100.pdf. But now I
have a pretty strong indication that a large company was planning to
knock it off. Patents are not cheap to get and an individual has no
hope of coming out ahead against a large company in any sort of a patent
suit -- even if they win it always ends up costing them lots of money.
And the knockoff companies know that.

I have another product ready to go -- part of it is what I think is a
much better implementation of what is out there already and part of it
is unique. I have another idea after that one -- the prototype is
working just fine and it is yet another major improvement on what is
available -- you'll like it.

This is a little retirement business for me, I don't expect to make a
lot of money from it, and don't really care. But, if all I'm doing is
making money for the knockoff companies -- f..k it! They could buy
people's ideas, usually for an amount which really wouldn't hurt their
bottom line a bit. But, that would take the fun out of it for them, I'm
guessing.

And, you are helping them do it to more and more innovators every time
you buy from them.

Bill

William Noble wrote:
just in case, try these links
http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips...er-sharpen.pdf
Turning Topics: Sharpening Gouges, by Jerry Glaser, from Woodworker West,
Mar./Apr. 1997, pp. 39-42.
http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/sharpen.pdf
specifically, see figure 5 in this article
http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/glaser3b.shtml

"William Noble" wrote in message
.. .

and there was a diagram of the Glaser tool grinding thingie posted on this
NG a few weeks ago - that one is my favorite and very different from the
other designs.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

This is a little retirement business for me, I don't expect to make a lot
of money from it, and don't really care. But, if all I'm doing is making
money for the knockoff companies -- f..k it! They could buy people's
ideas, usually for an amount which really wouldn't hurt their bottom line
a bit. But, that would take the fun out of it for them, I'm guessing.

And, you are helping them do it to more and more innovators every time you
buy from them.

I have one "invention". I put it in quotes because it was an existing
product; I was just the first to think of selling it as a consumer product;
thick brown felt pads. Up to then it was just thin green felt pads. Sold
like crazy, eventually getting into virtually every hardware store in the
country. Lasted about 12 years until everybody copied it. You know you
have done good when 3M imitates you. Yeah I would have liked it to go on
another 12 years; but I can't figure out why they didn't do it earlier. The
marketing boost it gave us for those 12 years was incredible.
It's just a crap shoot. You innovate for the edge the first mover gets;
after that it is dog eat dog.

The oneway is 50% more than the PS. If I get it, I might get the Oneway
because PS is typically a crappy product and I would rather pay 50% more to
avoid problems.
I was just torn between a JDS cyclone and a much more expensive Oneida. I
went with the Oneida because of their differing reputations. I have had
problems with the Oneida, but they ship out replacement parts same day. My
understanding is that replacement parts aren't available for JDS (though
that is hard to believe)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I remember hearing that popular Arab musicians put out many albums. The
average life of selling a new album is only a few weeks. By then copies
(by outright theft) have taken over.

I read an article in Fast Company about Adidas. They will be the clothing
supplier for the Olympics. They have an Asian IP (intellectual property)
head. Their focus is not litigation, but tipping police to retailers with
knock-offs. Over 1000 raids resulted last year.

I don't like to see people stealing ideas. If you have a patent or
trademark you have a right to resist those stealing your ideas, otherwise
you just hope to get good sales during the window when you have something
unique.

Derek

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Derek:

Yes, but as I said, a patent is very expensive to get and expensive to
defend. Much innovation is done by individuals, working alone, who just
don't have the deep pockets to do either. And, the big knockoff
companies know that so flaunt the law knowingly. The only real way to
deal with it is for the consumer to think longer range and resist the
temptation to help them.

Also, if I end up making $10,000.00 total on my drive center, I'd be
happy as a clam -- our market just isn't that big. How can I justify
spending $12,000.00 on a patent?

We were in China recently and in every city there were street vendors
selling Omega, Rolex, Breitling, Cartier,... watches. 2 for 10 dollars,
then 4 for ten dollars, then 5 -- how many you want for ten dollars?
Heck, for a few dollars a piece, I'll buy cheap watches and when they
quit I'll throw them away. But, I won't buy counterfeits . Do you
know that not one street vendor had any watches which did not have a
counterfeit label on it? So, I didn't buy a watch. I'll just have to
limp along on my REAL Seiko.

Bill

Derek H wrote:
I remember hearing that popular Arab musicians put out many albums. The
average life of selling a new album is only a few weeks. By then copies
(by outright theft) have taken over.

I read an article in Fast Company about Adidas. They will be the clothing
supplier for the Olympics. They have an Asian IP (intellectual property)
head. Their focus is not litigation, but tipping police to retailers with
knock-offs. Over 1000 raids resulted last year.

I don't like to see people stealing ideas. If you have a patent or
trademark you have a right to resist those stealing your ideas, otherwise
you just hope to get good sales during the window when you have something
unique.

Derek

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 19:20:18 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I can't seem to get the hang of sharpening gouges.
Penn State has a guide setup for about $125. While expensive, it is
probably cheaper than grinding my gouges away; if it works.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcgrind4.html

Has anyone tried it? PS is, in my experience, right up there with Harbor
Freight for quality; but sometimes even HF comes through.

Looks like a woverine knock off, doesn't it?

I tried Darrell's shop made version and found that I just don't feel comfortable
with the tool handle in the socket type grinding..

Ended up with the tru-grind for about $100 and I've been very happy with it...
Sharpening has always been my weakness in turning and now I can do edges that I
didn't think I was capable of..
My tools last a LOT longer now and have consistent edges.. No more "re-learning
a gouge every time it's sharpened.. lol

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...d_system?Args=

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Penn State Chucks Gregory Paolini Woodturning 2 August 2nd 06 02:35 AM
Penn State vs. FWW Vince Heuring Woodworking 2 July 1st 06 10:17 PM
My new Penn State DC arrived mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net Woodworking 14 February 10th 06 03:25 AM
Penn State DCs? Toller Woodworking 3 November 8th 05 04:51 AM
Penn State [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 23rd 03 01:17 PM