Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie Tom Nie is offline

Default Penn State grinder guide?

Toller,
I'd go with the Oneway or one of the similar designs. The extending arm plus
the angle jig setup combine to get your wings and tip angles consistent
whether bowl or spindle grinds.

BTW if you will take a new grinder wheel and get everything all setup for
just the right grinds, then take a piece of say 1/4" plywood and imagine a
COMMA (,). Take the pointed end and place in your extended arm. Take the
other end and lay alongside the grinding wheel - trace the outline of the
wheel on it. Then cut away the excess. Ends up looking like a half moon
comet

Result is a template that immediately allows you to either setup another
grinder when away from your shop or allows for the wear as the wheel
diameter decreases. It also prevents you from being confused between bowl
and spindle settings on the extending arm. You're left with marking your
Oneway jig or making a couple of jigs. Only real difference at this point is
the Oneway is adjustable to try other grinds and the homemades are fixed
settings. YMMV

I don't remember what I paid for the Oneway but I'd pay it again. Look into
it and also see if you can get a club discount. Klingspor, around here, will
do that for club members.

TomNie

"Toller" wrote in message
I can't seem to get the hang of sharpening gouges.
Penn State has a guide setup for about $125. While expensive, it is
probably cheaper than grinding my gouges away; if it works.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcgrind4.html

Has anyone tried it? PS is, in my experience, right up there with Harbor
Freight for quality; but sometimes even HF comes through.