Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default update on my willow bowl project

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/bowl.jpg

Came out really pretty, but the tear out killed it. It was not like normal
tear out where some fibers tear out rather than cutting; hunks of wood just
pulled out. I think my tools were adequated sharp; maybe not.
The tear out is just bad on the outer part of the tree, but horrible on the
inner part.

Interesting thing is how it drank up LBO. I have never seen a wood so
thirsty other than maybe spalted maple.

And, I learned there there is actually something worse than tear out. I
tried to fix it by mixing glue with willow dust and filling in the tear out.
Now it looks like tear out filled with glue and willow dust.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Toller" wrote in message
news
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/bowl.jpg

Came out really pretty, but the tear out killed it. It was not like
normal tear out where some fibers tear out rather than cutting; hunks of
wood just pulled out. I think my tools were adequated sharp; maybe not.
The tear out is just bad on the outer part of the tree, but horrible on
the inner part.

Interesting thing is how it drank up LBO. I have never seen a wood so
thirsty other than maybe spalted maple.

And, I learned there there is actually something worse than tear out. I
tried to fix it by mixing glue with willow dust and filling in the tear
out. Now it looks like tear out filled with glue and willow dust.

Gouge angles are real important. Looks like you may have had too steep a
"sharpness angle," as they call it in hand planes. Of course, you had some
semi-rotten stuff to work with as well, which makes it even more critical to
keep things broad and thin. Bet you learned something in the process,
though.

Any tree that pulls water like the willow/aspen family is going to have a
problem pulling oil, which is why a finish with a reasonable amount of resin
to keep things more toward the surface is a good choice. Look for high
solids content when choosing your finish for these types of woods.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Toller

You didn't do too bad, everything considered.

I think if you had let the wood "drink" a 50/50 water/glue mix rather
than the oil, you might have gotten a better end result, both in
cutting and finishing.

I'm sure though that you are a better turner now than before, only by
doing will you get better at it, so, well done.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jul 13, 11:09 am, "Toller" wrote:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/bowl.jpg

Came out really pretty, but the tear out killed it. It was not like normal
tear out where some fibers tear out rather than cutting; hunks of wood just
pulled out. I think my tools were adequated sharp; maybe not.
The tear out is just bad on the outer part of the tree, but horrible on the
inner part.

Interesting thing is how it drank up LBO. I have never seen a wood so
thirsty other than maybe spalted maple.

And, I learned there there is actually something worse than tear out. I
tried to fix it by mixing glue with willow dust and filling in the tear out.
Now it looks like tear out filled with glue and willow dust.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Toller" wrote in message
news
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/bowl.jpg

Came out really pretty, but the tear out killed it. It was not like
normal tear out where some fibers tear out rather than cutting; hunks of
wood just pulled out. I think my tools were adequated sharp; maybe not.
The tear out is just bad on the outer part of the tree, but horrible on
the inner part.

Interesting thing is how it drank up LBO. I have never seen a wood so
thirsty other than maybe spalted maple.

And, I learned there there is actually something worse than tear out. I
tried to fix it by mixing glue with willow dust and filling in the tear
out. Now it looks like tear out filled with glue and willow dust.

======I've turned very spalted, partially rotten birch and used the LDD
method as well Wood Hardener and that pretty well controlled tear-out. Of
course, there is always that one piece that won't behave! *G*

Leif

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
news
[...]

What is the LDD method?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Toller it stands for:
Liquid Dishwashing Detergent, gets you clean hands and a slippery
slimy floor wall ceiling, lathe and you.
Claims: makes wood behave just the way you like it ;-*)))
I'm sure Leif will send you the magical formula, just hang in there.
Keep it close to the new Alcohol formula

Everyone seems to wants magical ways to make it easy, rather than
practical.

Have lots of fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jul 13, 10:17 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Toller" wrote in message

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
======I've turned very spalted, partially rotten birch and used the LDD
method as well Wood Hardener and that pretty well controlled tear-out.
Of course, there is always that one piece that won't behave! *G*

What is the LDD method?

Slick versus stick. Instead of trying to relignify the punky wood with a
glue, it makes the fibers wetter and softer so that they will cut without
pulling so badly. Some people use wax or "wax lite" - oil - which sort of
limits them in their choice of final finish. The glycerol in the detergent
will evaporate without a problem.

If you want to do some voodoo, read up at
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur..._articles.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Toller: I keep getting a bounce from your address. Here
I am trying to send you the "solution" to your tearing out problems and your
address doesn't work!! 8^(

Leif
"Toller" wrote in message
news
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/bowl.jpg

Came out really pretty, but the tear out killed it. It was not like
normal tear out where some fibers tear out rather than cutting; hunks of
wood just pulled out. I think my tools were adequated sharp; maybe not.
The tear out is just bad on the outer part of the tree, but horrible on
the inner part.

Interesting thing is how it drank up LBO. I have never seen a wood so
thirsty other than maybe spalted maple.

And, I learned there there is actually something worse than tear out. I
tried to fix it by mixing glue with willow dust and filling in the tear
out. Now it looks like tear out filled with glue and willow dust.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Toller,
Seems like you had a typical willow experience. Woods this soft are always
more difficult to turn and finish. You will find you new crab apple to be a
much better wood for turning and finishing.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners