Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default goblet finish

Hi...I am trying to make a nice set of turned wood goblets. I havn't
been able to find a suitable finish to seal the wood and to protect
the beverage. I have read alot about '4 part finishes' that involve 2
coats of one thing to seal the wood and 2 coats of another to protect
the beverage, but none of them will reveal what the finishes are.
What is out there that will seal the goblets well enough to pour a
dring into, yet not rub off on the drink itself??
Marc

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Marc
How about nothing at all for a finish ?? works just fine, unless you
happen to use something like red Oak.
You put an oil finish in there and you will drink it, lacker isn't
very good if you like to drink alcohol out of it.
You could use shellack to seal it, or as I have done a few times CA.
I still prefer nothing in there for a finish.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jun 6, 6:15 pm, marc wrote:
Hi...I am trying to make a nice set of turned wood goblets. I havn't
been able to find a suitable finish to seal the wood and to protect
the beverage. I have read alot about '4 part finishes' that involve 2
coats of one thing to seal the wood and 2 coats of another to protect
the beverage, but none of them will reveal what the finishes are.
What is out there that will seal the goblets well enough to pour a
dring into, yet not rub off on the drink itself??
Marc

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote: (clip) lacker isn't
very good if you like to drink alcohol out of it.
You could use shellack to seal it, (clip)^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not shellac--it's soluble in alcohol. A layer of clear epoxy ought to do
it, though. Leo van der Stadt (the other Leo.)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You might look at the two part Polymer called Envirotex Lite or the
other two consumer coatings found here.

http://www.eti-usa.com/

I've had a friend using Envirotex Lite to seal drinking horns for
members of the SCA. He's had no leaks except when someone actually
cracked the horn and no off taste.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:15:29 -0700, marc
wrote:

Hi...I am trying to make a nice set of turned wood goblets. I havn't
been able to find a suitable finish to seal the wood and to protect
the beverage. I have read alot about '4 part finishes' that involve 2
coats of one thing to seal the wood and 2 coats of another to protect
the beverage, but none of them will reveal what the finishes are.
What is out there that will seal the goblets well enough to pour a
dring into, yet not rub off on the drink itself??
Marc

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

as leo said, virtually any epoxy or two part polyurethane will do the trick

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

wrote: (clip) lacker isn't
very good if you like to drink alcohol out of it.
You could use shellack to seal it, (clip)^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not shellac--it's soluble in alcohol. A layer of clear epoxy ought to do
it, though. Leo van der Stadt (the other Leo.)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
wrote:

You might look at the two part Polymer called Envirotex Lite or the
other two consumer coatings found here.

http://www.eti-usa.com/

I've had a friend using Envirotex Lite to seal drinking horns for
members of the SCA. He's had no leaks except when someone actually
cracked the horn and no off taste.

Envirotex is what I use for goblets, mazers (drinking bowls) and such. A
friend uses a black two part finish for his stave built mugs, but I
don't recall the product name right now

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Other Leo, (maker of light)

Yes of course it is , Don't know what I was thinking there, but sure
goofed on that one, sorry guys.

For centuries though and still today, drinking vessels didn't/don't
have any coating in them, they work just fine without any.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

wrote: (clip) lacker isn't

goblet finish marc Woodworking 2 June 14th 07 10:05 PM
Goblet base diameter mac davis Woodturning 15 March 13th 05 02:41 AM
Goblet and Splitting Wood Greg G. Woodturning 11 March 7th 05 07:16 AM
safe finish for goblet used for alcohol? mac davis Woodturning 18 March 2nd 05 11:40 PM
Goblet Question Fred Mayfield Woodturning 5 February 21st 05 05:28 PM