Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Chuck brainstorming

Hello all-

While I have a chuck that is adequately serving my needs, and don't
really need anything different right now, I've been mulling over
various senarios for making a homebrew scroll chuck just for the
challenge of it. Especially after making a bunch of the Longworth
chucks, it seems like something that might be worth attempting.

The standard design that uses the plate with the raised spiral to move
the jaws is neat, and probably the best solution, but beyond my
capacity to make without endless hours of touchy hand-filing- for now,
at least.

I've come up with a few vague ideas involving worm gears and other
sort of Rube Goldberg-esque rigs, but nothing that is really worth
pursuing.

What I've got availible for playing with is an old knee mill, a laser
cutter, presses, punches, brakes, etc, and a selection of welders and
grinders at work. At home, which is where I prefer to do the bulk of
my fooling around, I've got a forge and anvil, a couple of good
grinders, files, an electric shear and a 3/4 finished metal lathe for
working metal, and at least one of just about anything a guy would
want for working with wood.

The goal is to figure out a way to make a useable scrolling chuck that
will self-center, tighten with a T-handle wrench, and is at least
reasonably easy to change jaws on.

I am fully aware that by the time I've designed and built this thing,
I will probably have spent far more time and effort that it would have
taken to just go out and buy a really nice one- but that's not going
to teach me much, and won't be nearly as satisfying to use. And, I'll
only have one- but if I can *make* one, then I can have as many as I
want.

So, anyone have any brilliant ideas? Or maybe a link to some chuck
designs- dubious or otherwise? It's possible the Longworth two-plate
design would be a good place to start, but I'm willing to entertain
just about any idea as a starting point.

New Chuck Vince Way-Nee Woodturning 12 May 2nd 05 10:21 PM
CHUCK James Williams Woodturning 6 April 30th 05 05:30 PM
Drill Chuck / Lathe Chuck - Drill Press Question [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 29th 05 01:07 AM
Looking for chuck Blair Woodturning 8 November 12th 04 03:54 AM
Need brainstorming help: front door skylight Todd W. Roat Home Repair 1 April 19th 04 03:30 PM