James Williams

Default CHUCK

Hi all

i am in the market to buy a chuck i am looking at the super nova or the
oneway can anyone tell me which is best and where is the cheapest place to
buy one i live in the UK.

Graeme

Hi James

I suggest you get one of the Vicmarc VM100 Chucks, they are generally
regarded as the best engineered of the scroll chucks. Some turners say
that they have the best holding power as well. Don't know the price
difference in the UK but in Australia they are only a few dollars more,
and most reckon it's money well spent.

Cheers
Graeme

James Williams wrote:
Hi all

i am in the market to buy a chuck i am looking at the super nova or

the
oneway can anyone tell me which is best and where is the cheapest

place to
buy one i live in the UK.

Member

Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Most of the major makes are pretty good and I suspect that each turner will recommend his/her own chuck!

See my post of 13 April re the Record RP4000, otherwise known as the Vicmarc VM100.

The new Supernova2 has had good reviews and is certainly an improvement on the earlier model.

One thing to know is that jaw sets are NOT interchangeable between makes so that once you buy a chuck changing can become expensive. I would go for one which offers an insert/exsert arrangement so that when you upgrade your lathe (you will) you only need to swap the insert/exsert at modest cost.

No one in the UK offers mega discounts. Being located in Yorkshire, I have a choice of four or five dealers within an hours drive but the difference in price hardly pays for the fuel to get there.
Kip

James Williams wrote:
Hi all

i am in the market to buy a chuck i am looking at the super nova or

the
oneway can anyone tell me which is best and where is the cheapest

place to
buy one i live in the UK.

I agree with Graeme, go with the Vicmarc, you will be glad you did

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

George

"James Williams" wrote in message
k...
Hi all

i am in the market to buy a chuck i am looking at the super nova or the
oneway can anyone tell me which is best and where is the cheapest place to
buy one i live in the UK.

I have a couple of Supers and a couple of regular Novas. Never used a
Vicmark. Truth is, if they hold the piece to be worked, and mine do, mount
accurately and coaxially, and they do, it hardly seems worth the effort to
chase something else with my money. No bragging rights in this group, but
thousands of pieces held, turned and sold.

Owen Lowe

In article .com,
"Graeme" wrote:

Cheers
Graeme

Is this Graeme of Southern Woodturning Supplies fame?
NTL

Hi

I am a relative beginner to woodturning and have just bought the SuperNova2
chuck from Craft Supplies. It has the added advantage over the old version
of an indexing plate on the back (useful if you don't already have one). the
disadvantage is that it is a bit dearer at £145.

I have found it grips most medium sized work very well with the 50mm jaws
supplied and there are a number of sizes/types available (it will take all
the SuperNova 1 jaws).

It also comes with an insert and a screw which it grips in the jaws, this
saves having to take the chuck/faceplate/screw chuck on and off.

There is a good range of internal/external diameters over which it will
grip, so it is not necessary to be too accurate with your spigot or dovetail
recess.

Hope this helps, I'm sure the above applies to other chucks also. Do what I
did, if it's nice and shiny, buy it ;-)

Cheers
Richard