Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Buying a lathe

A large Hi all
I just joined the group and also new to wood turning. I am from Port
Hawkesbury Nova Scotia Canada. {Are there many here from Nova Scotia?
Does anyone in my area upgrading to a newer lathe? If so I maybe
interested in buying a used machince. }
I did turn chair spindles and the like over the years as I was doing
furniture repair and refinishing. The other year I tried my hand at
turning bowls. I used stack pine boards glued up and had some fun. It
was cheap to use as I had 800 bf of it easy to cut great to sand ,
but with the little lathe I have I did not want to attempt green wood.
(80's model Sears Craftsman single pipe pole bed ) Every new interest
in wood working costs one pile of money. Now I maybe looking at
buying a new lathe. I can't afford a ONE WAY for sure so I was looking
at a 25-600 General vs. a H1000L King.

These are the 2 I am lookig at

The 25-650 General has the 0 RPM start one the speed control which is
a nice feature for bowl turning, but with the stand and a 3 phase
optional motor it ups the price from the 25-600 another 1000.00. Now
the 25-600 RPM start is 450 and goes to 300 while the King RPM start
is 280 and only goes to 1750. Is 480 to fast a start up speed for
rough green blanks. Is 1750 fast enough to to shape with good cuts
when piece is balanced sand etc .

Also the 25-600 has a swivel head stock for out board turning. I was
wondering if that would stay true to centers in years to come.

The General is an extra 122 lbs (King 285 - General 407 )

Maybe someone could suggest a lathe that will carry through until I
can afford a ONE WAY ( the lottery)

I Canada these lathe sell about 1000.00 I would love to buy used but
very scarce.

Even if I buy new I have to send for it as there is nothing in this
town you can buy locally so shipping is probally another 250.00
taxable dollars.

I will stop for now but I do have and will have many more questions if
that is ok in this group and if not that is ok also

Thanks......................Moray

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Don't listen to him guys and gals. He is not from Nova Scotia, he's from
Cape Breton! :-) If this is not a joke to you, you are from away. :-)

Moray, I have turned 11 bowls on that single tube lathe. I am in Valley
outside Truro. Drop me a line and we will get together. I have preached in
the Baptist church at Port Hawkesbury.

I was born in Sherbrooke Village and fished out of Larry's River in my
younger and more foolish days. My granparents had the lighthouse at Cook's
Cove so there was only a Straight between us. Check out my site. there is
more than one piece there from that monotube.

Darrell
---
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS
http://aroundthewoods.com
http://roundopinions.blogspot.com

"Moray" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey Moray,

Welcome to the group, you will find a great bunch of people here, full of
information, and great advice and suggestions. We always welcome newcomers,
dont be afraid to ask questions, that what we are here for is to learn and
share with each other.

So I see you are looking at a General brand Lathe. I myself own a General
and am very happy with it. Overall it is solid and doesnt have allot for
natural vibration. Even when turning a green unbalanced burl It stands firm
on the shop floor. I do however start at the lowest speed of 450 when
roughing out a bowl. I must admit at 450 it can be scary sometimes if the
piece is odd shaped. So in my opinion the King does have an advantage with
lower start speed for bowl turning. However for spindle work you should be
at a higher speed, and I feel the king at 1750 is not high enough to get a
clean cut on spindle and finish work. Maybe someone in the group who does
more bowls then I do can comment. As I have only done maybe 12 bowls in the
last 2 years. So I cant say for sure if 1750 is really fast enough. I myself
like to be at least 2000+ plus for the finish sanding and such on my bowls.

Thats my two cents.
Donald

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

NEWFEES the both of ye.

Hi Moray and Darrell

I had glanced over your post Moray and was going to suggest you get to
Darrells site and that you could maybe get together with him. (Too
slow)
You're lucky to have Darrell fairly close by, and of course we all
share his website.
The regulars know my take on the swivel head lathes, as my stance is,
you introduce a loose piece and flexing, twisting and misalignment is
or will be a real problem.
That was reinforced again last thursday when we had a hollowing
demonstration at the turners club, similar lathe to the king lathe
you're looking at, as the demonstrator brought his own lathe along
(club had only a General International mini) while he did some of the
hollowing, I observed the shaking and vibration, but the demonstrator
seemed to be used to that, than inserting the tool again after blowing
out some shavings, the tool grabbed and DANG BANG CLANG, and the
lathes swivel head lay on the floor, luckily no one was hurt, but that
could have happened very easily, End of hollowing demonstration.
One other thing, General and General International is not the same in
quality, first is/was made in Canada, second shiwanese. if you can get
a larger General you should be happy IMO
Yes I know money doesn't grow on trees, however a used lathe might be
your best bet, Darrell might be some help there, I think.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On May 6, 1:04 pm, Moray wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 6 May 2007 10:04:43 -0700, Moray wrote:

A large Hi all
I just joined the group and also new to wood turning. I am from Port
Hawkesbury Nova Scotia Canada. {Are there many here from Nova Scotia?
Does anyone in my area upgrading to a newer lathe? If so I maybe
interested in buying a used machince. }
I did turn chair spindles and the like over the years as I was doing
furniture repair and refinishing. The other year I tried my hand at
turning bowls. I used stack pine boards glued up and had some fun. It
was cheap to use as I had 800 bf of it easy to cut great to sand ,
but with the little lathe I have I did not want to attempt green wood.
(80's model Sears Craftsman single pipe pole bed ) Every new interest
in wood working costs one pile of money. Now I maybe looking at
buying a new lathe. I can't afford a ONE WAY for sure so I was looking
at a 25-600 General vs. a H1000L King.

Hi Moray-

Used lathes *can* be hard to come by. That being said, I got my lathe
used a few years ago, and sold my Midi lathe to a guy at work who
expressed an interest in turning.

If I had looked in the newspaper, I doubt I would have found one- the
Delta gap-bed I've got was the result of helping a turner build his
shop, and he offered me the right of first refusal when he opened a
retail shop and upgraded to a couple of really expensive ones. The
Midi didn't make the paper, either- I would have hung onto it if I
didn't know the guy that bought it.

While I'm not a member of a turning club, that might be my suggestion-
if you have any in your area. While none of the guys in your area
might have one for sale right away, that may be your best opportunity
to buy a good used one over time.

It sounds like a lot of guys keep their lathes even after upgrading,
but I would imagine that there are plenty that are like me, and hate
to see that the old, perfectly good lathe is just sitting there
collecting dust because the newer and bigger model is just more fun to
use.

Newbie Buying a Lathe gsl Woodturning 15 September 18th 05 12:43 AM
Re newbei buying a lathe gambier.d.reeks Woodturning 1 September 16th 05 07:27 PM
Buying lathe Vulcan Metalworking 46 February 18th 05 02:02 PM
Buying my first meatl lathe J. Mark Wolf Metalworking 1 December 29th 04 06:09 AM
Thinking about buying a lathe Bob M Woodturning 6 December 28th 03 02:57 AM