Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moray Moray is offline

Default Buying a lathe

A large Hi all
I just joined the group and also new to wood turning. I am from Port
Hawkesbury Nova Scotia Canada. {Are there many here from Nova Scotia?
Does anyone in my area upgrading to a newer lathe? If so I maybe
interested in buying a used machince. }
I did turn chair spindles and the like over the years as I was doing
furniture repair and refinishing. The other year I tried my hand at
turning bowls. I used stack pine boards glued up and had some fun. It
was cheap to use as I had 800 bf of it easy to cut great to sand ,
but with the little lathe I have I did not want to attempt green wood.
(80's model Sears Craftsman single pipe pole bed ) Every new interest
in wood working costs one pile of money. Now I maybe looking at
buying a new lathe. I can't afford a ONE WAY for sure so I was looking
at a 25-600 General vs. a H1000L King.

These are the 2 I am lookig at

The 25-650 General has the 0 RPM start one the speed control which is
a nice feature for bowl turning, but with the stand and a 3 phase
optional motor it ups the price from the 25-600 another 1000.00. Now
the 25-600 RPM start is 450 and goes to 300 while the King RPM start
is 280 and only goes to 1750. Is 480 to fast a start up speed for
rough green blanks. Is 1750 fast enough to to shape with good cuts
when piece is balanced sand etc .

Also the 25-600 has a swivel head stock for out board turning. I was
wondering if that would stay true to centers in years to come.

The General is an extra 122 lbs (King 285 - General 407 )

Maybe someone could suggest a lathe that will carry through until I
can afford a ONE WAY ( the lottery)

I Canada these lathe sell about 1000.00 I would love to buy used but
very scarce.

Even if I buy new I have to send for it as there is nothing in this
town you can buy locally so shipping is probally another 250.00
taxable dollars.

I will stop for now but I do have and will have many more questions if
that is ok in this group and if not that is ok also