Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sale of Nova Lathe

I should be receiving my new Powermatic 3520b this week and will want
to sell my Nova 3000. I will be so happy not to have to walk around
behind to change belt speeds. My question is "what price can I expect
to get for my Nova lathe? I live in Tucson, Arizona.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message
oups.com...
I should be receiving my new Powermatic 3520b this week and will want
to sell my Nova 3000. I will be so happy not to have to walk around
behind to change belt speeds. My question is "what price can I expect
to get for my Nova lathe? I live in Tucson, Arizona.

You must be short? I lean, or sometimes just slip by feel without looking
on mine. One belt change per piece doesn't trouble me.

Six hundred maybe, more if you've got goodies. Still more if you've got a
motivated buyer. New ones go for a grand, with stand.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 6 May 2007 08:44:30 -0700, "
wrote:

I should be receiving my new Powermatic 3520b this week and will want
to sell my Nova 3000. I will be so happy not to have to walk around
behind to change belt speeds. My question is "what price can I expect
to get for my Nova lathe? I live in Tucson, Arizona.

A quick search came up with a couple of used ones going from $500-700.
My rule of thumb with Delta is 60-70% of retail on used tools, unless
there is some sort of problem with it, or I know the buyer and want to
give them a deal.

That may change in the future, though- I bought my contractor's saw
last year for $600, and it's already going for $850 new. With price
increases moving that fast, and the quality declining on most tools,
the used stuff might very well go for more than the original price in
a few years.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Prometheus wrote:

On 6 May 2007 08:44:30 -0700, "
wrote:

I should be receiving my new Powermatic 3520b this week and will want
to sell my Nova 3000. I will be so happy not to have to walk around
behind to change belt speeds. My question is "what price can I expect
to get for my Nova lathe? I live in Tucson, Arizona.

A quick search came up with a couple of used ones going from $500-700.
My rule of thumb with Delta is 60-70% of retail on used tools, unless
there is some sort of problem with it, or I know the buyer and want to
give them a deal.

There was one on auction at eBay (closed yesterday), starting at $600,
reserve at $700, not one bid.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ebd ebd is offline

Changing the belts on a Nova 3K is easy - once you remove the useless
red steel assembly that covers the opening. Safety wise, dust wise,
structure wise there is no reason for that cover other than to cover
the manufacturers butt in case some Darwin's Award candidate decides
to try and change the belt while the lathe is running and wants to sue.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 08 May 2007 05:37:09 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

In article ,
Prometheus wrote:

On 6 May 2007 08:44:30 -0700, "
wrote:

I should be receiving my new Powermatic 3520b this week and will want
to sell my Nova 3000. I will be so happy not to have to walk around
behind to change belt speeds. My question is "what price can I expect
to get for my Nova lathe? I live in Tucson, Arizona.

A quick search came up with a couple of used ones going from $500-700.
My rule of thumb with Delta is 60-70% of retail on used tools, unless
there is some sort of problem with it, or I know the buyer and want to
give them a deal.

There was one on auction at eBay (closed yesterday), starting at $600,
reserve at $700, not one bid.

That being said, would *you* buy a used tool that cost $600 off Ebay
sight unseen, and then pay the shipping on it?

Ebay is good for lots of things, but I don't know that I'd buy a major
tool like that without being able to lay my hands on it first. Could
be it didn't sell because others feel the same way.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I sold my Nova 3000 on the Chicago craigslist last summer for $800, but
I only had two responses to the ad - one by a person passing through
Illinois from Ohio to Iowa. Thank God the other person bought it. And I
agree with the observation about wanting to see the lathe before I would
shell out the money. The positive aspect of craigslist is that you deal
locally and usually for cash.

Jim