Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Only sort of OT

Hello all,

I know that rec.woodworking might be a more appropriate place for
this, but I have been way to busy lately to waste time trying to
separate the wheat from the chaff in that group. Maybe someone here
has some insight on this one:

I do a bit of custom millwork here and there for people, and with a
sizable trim order in the works, I was thinking that it would be a
good investment to purchase a moulding cutterhead for my table saw so
that I could add a few profile options that are tough to achieve with
just a router and dado stack. Delta lists the exact thing I'm looking
for in the manual for my contractor's saw- (part no. 34-562) but I
can't find anyone who actually sells one of these.

I contacted Delta to see if I could track one down, but this lack of
availibility has got me a little spooked. It's not a cheap accessory,
and I'm wondering if anyone here has used one of these things. If
it's just more of the same old crap, where the manufacturers are now
considering anything more than a week old and without a laser pointer
glued to it obsolete, that's one thing- but if it has been
discontinued because it does not work, or is actually too dangerous to
use, I'd rather not pay $100+ for a fancy paperweight.

I know the standard answer is probably to buy a shaper or to get a
huge router with a variable speed control- but I paid a lot for my
saw, I'm comfortable with it, and I just don't have room to get a
stationary tool for every single step in every woodworking operation.
And as well as a router may work for a lot of guys, it's not always
the answer for what I do- I can grind custom profiles on a cutterhead
with replacable knives, but that's a fool's task on a router bit.

It doesn't have to be a Delta product, either- any cutterhead that has
a 5/8" arbor hole and is designed to be used in a table saw would be
fine- in fact, with Delta's continuing decline in quality and customer
service, I'd almost prefer a Freud or similar quality product.

Any advice or input?

OT Sort of O D Woodworking 8 August 18th 06 01:41 AM
I wasn't doing anything of the sort..... jakdedert Electronics Repair 8 December 21st 05 03:54 AM
OT : sort of as I did do it myself. :-) The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 13 December 9th 05 05:29 PM
Vented CH, well sort of... Sparks UK diy 26 December 16th 03 06:37 PM
is this some sort of damp ? robgraham UK diy 4 September 16th 03 11:21 AM