Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default A one-time offer, for anyone who may be interested.

Hello all,

I was looking at the Longsworth chuck plans, and am planning on making
one for myself. Since I'll be programming it anyway, I've got a
proposal for those of you who may want to aquire one of these at a
fair price.

Basically, I checked into the current price of steel and how much it
would cost me to rent the shop from my employer for a couple of hours
on a weekend to run these suckers (they let me make stuff for myself,
but I don't feel right about making and selling things to others on
the company's dime.) What I came up with is that I can make 8 pairs
of 12" discs, and 4 sets of smaller discs that would be suitable for a
mini or midi lathe.

What I am offering, if there are enough takers, is to purchase a sheet
of 11ga (.119" thick) stainless steel, and cut the disks with a CNC
laser cutter. I can cut basically any number of curved slots in any
given set, but I am anticipating that 8 slots will be about right.
Each disc will have a single row of holes around the circumference,
about 1/2" apart to allow the use of a spanner wrench for tightening,
G10 or Gylon washers to act as spacers between the discs, and tapped
holes in the back plate to allow you to screw it to a faceplate with
machine bolts. (I assume that anyone who might want the chuck to
stand out further has the ability to turn a spacer block out of wood
or a hunk of aluminum to use as a shim!)

After crunching the numbers, and getting the go-ahead from my
supervisor, I have come up with this as the offer:

If you want a set of discs, the final price will be $75 for the 12"
plates, and $50 for the midi plates. For that, you'll get two plates
with matching curved slots and the holes as described above- I will
make the mounting holes for the faceplates to the specifications of
your particular faceplate. You'll also get the spacer washers. I am
offering three different finishes, your choice- bead blasted,
timesaved (running it through a drum sander to create a straight
grain) or DA'ed (Random orbital finish with 60 grit abrasive) with
full deburring. That pays for the material, rental of the machine,
and my time. Assembly of the chuck and tracking down the various nuts
and bolts will be your job- but the plates will be flat and accurately
cut to .001". This will be faster than the second option.

If you would prefer to recieve a complete chuck, assembled and ready
to go right out of the box, I will make those for $125 for the 12",
and $100 for the midi. The finish options will be the same as above
on the plates, but the faceplate will be either sandblasted or
painted. The extra cost is to cover hardware and a faceplate. This
option will require an additional deposit and a slightly longer lead
time. The faceplates will likely be carbon steel, and not stainless
(I will be purchasing them from an outside vendor, if needed)

If you are interested in purchasing one of these, I will offer them on
a first-come first-served basis. As noted above, this is a one-time
thing (I'm not sure if there are copyright issues, and I don't have
much interest in starting a company to make these things even if there
are not- think of it as something akin to attending a workshop where
you make something to take home and pay a fee for material costs...)

If I get enough people who are interested in purchasing a set of discs
or a chuck, I will let you know if you are in- I won't be playing
favorites, it's just a matter of who contacts me first. If you're in
the group who is purchasing a chuck or discs, I will need a $25
deposit for each set of 12" discs, a $50 deposit for each 12"
assembled chuck, a $15 deposit for each set of midi discs, and $40 for
each midi chuck. The deposit will be used to offset the cost of the
materials, and may be refundable if for some reason you cannot afford
the finished product. In the case of a refund, it will not be paid
until I have recieved the payment from the others who have finished
the transaction- but you will get it back.

I will also need accurate measurements for the location of the holes
in your faceplate, and an indication of what size tap you'd prefer (my
inclination is to tap them for 1/4-20 threads as a default, but metric
and other sizes are possible, within reason.) In the case of a
complete chuck, I will need to know what your spindle size is. If any
of you need spacer washers for the faceplates, I'll toss those in as
well upon request, regardless of whether you're buying the full chuck
or just the plates.

Laser-etching text or simple images is also availble upon request for
an additional fee, if anyone wants it. The fee will be lower if you
can provide the image or text in .dxf format, as it will save me a
signifigant amount of time in the programming stage.

Shipping will be whatever you want it to be- I normally use parcel
post at the post office, but as long as you're paying the bill, I'll
send it however you like.

I have no problem offering a 30 day money-back guarantee if you're not
completely satisfied with the craftsmanship (though I would prefer if
no one demands money back because of the design, as it is not mine!)
and can provide metal certs upon request. This is what I do for a
living, and I'm pretty good at it- so there should not be any
problems. It will be done in a professional shop with precision
equipment and finished to the same standards as our most demanding
customers'.

Disc sets will be in the mail within 7 days of the receipt of all the
deposits (and probably sooner than that.) Full chucks will take
longer, as I will need to wait for faceplates to be delivered from an
outside vendor and track down the appropriate hardware. My best guess
is 14 days, but it could be longer.

Of course, after typing all that, it'll probably turn out that nobody
wants one! If I only get one or two responses, I'll try figure
something out for you, but the plan above kind of hits the magic
numbers where I can purchase a full pre-sheared sheet without too much
waste and out-of-pocket expense.

E-mail me at prometheus at charter.net, if interested.

Is anyone interested in this? Chris F. Electronics Repair 7 July 28th 06 06:10 AM
Anyone interested in slatwall? todd Woodworking 0 March 13th 06 12:52 AM
Nobody Interested? david lang UK diy 10 November 15th 05 03:07 PM
Some feedback, if anyone is interested... toller Woodworking 1 June 1st 05 02:47 AM