Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Best Budget Chuck For A Beginner

I just ordered the new Jet Indexing Mini Lathe after borrowing my
dad's for a couple of months to get used to turning. Some of the
small projects that I've been working on would have been much easier
if I had a jaw chuck of some kind. I have looked at several online
and in catalogs like teh Supernova and the Talon but they are a little
steep for my current budget. Can anyone suggest a budget priced chuck
that will get the job done but won't be a piece of junk? I anticipate
upgrading to a better chuck later, but I'd like to find something not
too expensive to get started with. Thanks!

Todd Chandler

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello, Todd.

Look at this recent thread, complete with working links:

http://tinyurl.com/2tnfb8

This a frequent topic here, so there is plenty more available.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

writes:

Can anyone suggest a budget priced chuck
that will get the job done but won't be a piece of junk?

Here's something that cost $14 that will be very economical

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Work-Hol...dp/1861083955/

p.s. You do know that woodworkers got by for hundreds of years without a
scroll chuck.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The NOVA G3 Chuck is a good little chuck suitable for working with a
mini-lathe and it accepts most of the NOVA Chuck jaws, I believe. They
are still selling for about $150 including shipping, but they are a
quality chuck that should last you for years. They are made in New
Zealand by a reputable firm.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

On Mar 12, 8:17 am, wrote:
I just ordered the new Jet Indexing Mini Lathe after borrowing my
dad's for a couple of months to get used to turning. Some of the
small projects that I've been working on would have been much easier
if I had a jaw chuck of some kind. I have looked at several online
and in catalogs like teh Supernova and the Talon but they are a little
steep for my current budget. Can anyone suggest a budget priced chuck
that will get the job done but won't be a piece of junk? I anticipate
upgrading to a better chuck later, but I'd like to find something not
too expensive to get started with. Thanks!

Todd Chandler

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
J. J. is offline

The G3 is indeed an excellent choice. It was available just before
Christmas from Woodcraft (I think) for $100. It will accept the other
Nova jaws, and there are adapters for just about any headstock thread size.

J.

On Mar 12, 8:17 am, wrote:
I just ordered the new Jet Indexing Mini Lathe after borrowing my
dad's for a couple of months to get used to turning. Some of the
small projects that I've been working on would have been much easier
if I had a jaw chuck of some kind. I have looked at several online
and in catalogs like teh Supernova and the Talon but they are a little
steep for my current budget. Can anyone suggest a budget priced chuck
that will get the job done but won't be a piece of junk? I anticipate
upgrading to a better chuck later, but I'd like to find something not
too expensive to get started with. Thanks!

Todd Chandler

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Buy a quality chuck first and you won't need to upgrade later. Plus you
won't have to deal with all those nasty dents in pieces that fly out of a
cheap chuck. There are few bargains. Usually, you get what you pay for. I
say, go for a Talon or a Supernova II.

Barry

wrote in message
ps.com...
I just ordered the new Jet Indexing Mini Lathe after borrowing my
dad's for a couple of months to get used to turning. Some of the
small projects that I've been working on would have been much easier
if I had a jaw chuck of some kind. I have looked at several online
and in catalogs like teh Supernova and the Talon but they are a little
steep for my current budget. Can anyone suggest a budget priced chuck
that will get the job done but won't be a piece of junk? I anticipate
upgrading to a better chuck later, but I'd like to find something not
too expensive to get started with. Thanks!

Todd Chandler

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I've found good deals by calling the teknatools service rep Tim Geist or
just emailing him directly. He has reconditioned nova chucks and parts
for good prices.

On Mar 12, 8:17 am, wrote:
I just ordered the new Jet Indexing Mini Lathe after borrowing my
dad's for a couple of months to get used to turning. Some of the
small projects that I've been working on would have been much easier
if I had a jaw chuck of some kind. I have looked at several online
and in catalogs like teh Supernova and the Talon but they are a little
steep for my current budget. Can anyone suggest a budget priced chuck
that will get the job done but won't be a piece of junk? I anticipate
upgrading to a better chuck later, but I'd like to find something not
too expensive to get started with. Thanks!

Todd Chandler

Good Lathe Chuck for a beginner Dr. Deb Woodturning 17 April 14th 06 04:20 AM
Good Lathe Chuck for a beginner Dr. Deb Woodworking 19 April 8th 06 02:01 AM
Budget Table Saws... AlexW UK diy 15 May 17th 05 10:43 AM
Budget compressors Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 18 February 12th 05 01:35 AM
Budget jointer recommendations? Wayne Whitney Woodworking 19 September 11th 04 04:27 AM