Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Vicmarc, Oneway, Stubby, or VB

All of these lathes cost within the $4K to $6K range, and all are fine
machines for even the pro turner. But I'm curious--I'd love to hear
everyone's opinions. If you were in the market for one of these lathes,
which would be your choice, and why? Assume you'd be buying the appropriate
machine for the type of turning you do. Feel free to mention any other
comparable lathes if your choice falls outside these four, but please
confine your choices to machines available in the USA.

Thanks,

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

well, I bought a stubby 1000 - my reasons were large swing over bed, even
larger between center capability due to movable bed (44 inches if I remember
right), and smallest footprint (no outboard attachments needed). I meets my
needs well

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...
All of these lathes cost within the $4K to $6K range, and all are fine
machines for even the pro turner. But I'm curious--I'd love to hear
everyone's opinions. If you were in the market for one of these lathes,
which would be your choice, and why? Assume you'd be buying the
appropriate machine for the type of turning you do. Feel free to mention
any other comparable lathes if your choice falls outside these four, but
please confine your choices to machines available in the USA.

Thanks,

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I would add the Robust to that list http://www.turnrobust.com/

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 17, 7:25 am, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In article et,

"Maxprop" wrote:
All of these lathes cost within the $4K to $6K range, and all are fine
machines for even the pro turner. But I'm curious--I'd love to hear
everyone's opinions. If you were in the market for one of these lathes,
which would be your choice, and why? Assume you'd be buying the appropriate
machine for the type of turning you do. Feel free to mention any other
comparable lathes if your choice falls outside these four, but please
confine your choices to machines available in the USA.

Thanks,

Max

For a professional grade lathe, I think that the PM 3520 is the best
deal out there. I find a very small market out there for bowls over
about 16 inches in diameter. It is more of a specialty market. The bed
as it comes is a bit short for anything over 30 inches, which will
cover most table legs. The sliding headstock makes it a bowl lathe so
you don't have to lean over the bed to turn the inside. Also nice for
turning the inside of boxes. I just did a demo where I had to be off
balance for some of the cuts I make, and really noticed the
difference. I haven't tried any of the other lathes, but they are all
good, but won't really do anything that the PM can't do, and the cost
difference is significant.
robo hippy

I would add the Robust to that listhttp://www.turnrobust.com/

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found athttp://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kip Kip is offline

On Feb 17, 12:09�am, "Maxprop" wrote:
All of these lathes cost within the $4K to $6K range, and all are fine
machines for even the pro turner. *But I'm curious--I'd love to hear
everyone's opinions. *If you were in the market for one of these lathes,
which would be your choice, and why? *Assume you'd be buying the appropriate
machine for the type of turning you do. *Feel free to mention any other
comparable lathes if your choice falls outside these four, but please
confine your choices to machines available in the USA.

Thanks,

Max

It depends on what type of work you plan on doing. I recently bought
the Stubby F600-a short bed since my interests are bowls and hollow
vessels and I don't need a long bed. I chose it over the similar
sized (and priced) Vicmarc because it seemed to have a beefier
headstock and over the Powermatic bsed on a smaller footprint (I have
a small workspace) and expected lower vibration given the fixed head.
A Oneway with a similar swing cost significantly more. I've been
very happy with my choice on both a technical and customer service
basis. Depending on your budget (it was well above mine!) and
interests, you might add a VB 36 to your list

Hope this helps
Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kip" wrote in message
ups.com...

Depending on your budget (it was well above mine!) and
interests, you might add a VB 36 to your list

See the subject line.

Thanks for the response, Kip.

Max