Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Lathe Speed

I am going to buy a new lathe. I am looking at one lathe which if variable
speed but the lowest speed is 300 rpm. Is that slow enough to be
satisfactory for turning and finishing on the lathe? I have some experience
with lathes but not much.

Thanks
Marv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The average and medium priced lathe have the lowest speed at 300 rpm.

Yes, this is satisfactory for the average work.

However, when you are turning heavy blanks that are not always properly
balanced to start with, your lathe will vibrate more at 300 rpm than at 120
rpm.

Many people overcome that vibration problem by adding weight to their lathe.
Other do their very best to balance the blank by using a band saw to cut the
blank in a close to perfect circle. Many turners are very skilful with
their chainsaw to trim the blank and mounted on the lathe with surprising
result.

If you do not know if you are going to like turning yet why spend the extra
money for a high end lathe.

..

"Marv" wrote in message
I am going to buy a new lathe. I am looking at one lathe which if variable
speed but the lowest speed is 300 rpm. Is that slow enough to be
satisfactory for turning and finishing on the lathe? I have some
experience with lathes but not much.

Thanks
Marv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have turned enough to know that I like it and then I sold all my
stationary tools to the people that bought my house during out downsizing.
I have the workshop completed and now is the time to populate it with tools.
I am also looking at the Powermatic 3520B. That may be the lathe that I
wind up with and it does go slower than 300 rpm.

Thanks for your input.

Marv

.

"Marv" wrote in message
I am going to buy a new lathe. I am looking at one lathe which if
variable speed but the lowest speed is 300 rpm. Is that slow enough to be
satisfactory for turning and finishing on the lathe? I have some
experience with lathes but not much.

Thanks
Marv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

A low minimum speed is important, but I think controlled ramping from
zero rpm up to that minimum is important when dealing with heavy, out of
round blanks or timber that isn't homogeneous. IMHO, electronic
controlled variable speed is much more useful and convenient, but Reeves
type drives and slipping belt clutches do work.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

GO WITH THE 3520B! see my site with the 3520A If the first page doesn't
grab you nothing will.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

"

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks all. Ordered the Powermatic 3520B today. $2603 Plus free shipping.
That is more than I wanted to spend for a lathe but I don't think I will
ever be buying another one.

Marv

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
. ..
GO WITH THE 3520B! see my site with the 3520A If the first page doesn't
grab you nothing will.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas
www.turningaround.org
akransom@ comcast.net is changing to

"

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:18:10 -0800, "Marv" wrote:

I am going to buy a new lathe. I am looking at one lathe which if variable
speed but the lowest speed is 300 rpm. Is that slow enough to be
satisfactory for turning and finishing on the lathe? I have some experience
with lathes but not much.

Thanks
Marv

For most use 300 rpm is slow enough. If you are turning diameters
greater than 15" you might need a slower speed. Although more
expensive, I really like my variable speed DC lathe motor. Just
changing the speed a little can completely remove an annoying
vibration.