Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Replacing bearings on Delta 46-111 lathe

I have a 46-111 that sounds like it needs new headstock bearings. I
don't see how the motor pulley comes off. I loosened the set screws but
it's screwed onto the spindle, and I don't see how to keep it from
turning to back the pulley off.

The Delta parts diagram refers to an "Early" model and a later one,
which take different bearings. How can I tell which one I have? I'm
guessing it's the older one, based on the drawing of the tailstock. The
serial number is FL-833.

If anyone has instructions on changing the bearings I appreciate it.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a 46-111 that sounds like it needs new headstock bearings. I
don't see how the motor pulley comes off. I loosened the set screws but
it's screwed onto the spindle, and I don't see how to keep it from
turning to back the pulley off.

The Delta parts diagram refers to an "Early" model and a later one,
which take different bearings. How can I tell which one I have? I'm
guessing it's the older one, based on the drawing of the tailstock. The
serial number is FL-833.

If anyone has instructions on changing the bearings I appreciate it.

Of course it will be a left-hand thread, but other than that, standard metal
procedures is all I can suggest. WD40 is my flavor of corrosion-breaker.

The note on spindles and bearings is pretty specific. Extended inner races
is one set, flush the other, as I read it. Spindles are of three flavors,
but that's not important unless you're changing them.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

When I turn the pulley nut, holding the spindle nut, the pulley just
revolves but does not back off the thread. It's rotating on the shaft
but is not engaging the threads at the back, so it won't come off. It
seems that it has gone onto the unthreaded portion of the spindle.

Joe

George wrote:
ps.com...