Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Link belt replacement on a bandsaw and ceramic guides...

Hello to the group,

I recently replaced an old worn-out "V" style belt with one of the new red
V-link belts on my Laguna LT-18 bandsaw. The installation was not too bad,
but the instructions could be better as many other internet chaps have noted
on various discussion groups.

Since there was no room to install the belt behind the lower wheel from the
front, I removed the motor from the rear and linked the belt together from
the motor shaft portal, on the rear of the bandsaw. This worked great, but
did require a second person for a wee bit to get the bolts started.

The main thing is to make sure the belt is installed in the right direction
(microscopic arrows pointing in the direction of rotation) and that the
tension is sufficient. Beyond that, it's easy if you have a helping hand. I
have not noticed any reduction in noise, but it it does run smoother than
when the standard V belt was installed.

Others have pointed out that it tends to get better after a slight break in,
so we shall see. If your bandsaw or tablesaw needs a new belt/s, I recommend
these red link belts highly. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

P.S. Some time ago I also replaced the standard European blade guides on my
bandsaw with the new ceramic blade guides from Laguna. My long term test of
these guides recently completed and all I can say is, I'm glad I updated the
guides! These ceramic guides are much quieter than the old European guides
and support the blade much better as well. I highly recommend these ceramic
guides if you are a woodturner - no sticky build-up on the bands anymore
when resawing green wood!!! :-)
--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: www.woodturningvideosplus.com

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell²
Volume #1 CD ROM e-Book * Available for Shipment
Volume #2 CD ROM e-Book/DVD Video * Available for Shipment
Volume #3 Double DVD Video on Bowl Turning * Available for Shipment

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Steve Russell" wrote in message
P.S. Some time ago I also replaced the standard European blade guides on
my
bandsaw with the new ceramic blade guides from Laguna. My long term test
of
these guides recently completed and all I can say is, I'm glad I updated
the
guides! These ceramic guides are much quieter than the old European guides
and support the blade much better as well. I highly recommend these
ceramic
guides if you are a woodturner - no sticky build-up on the bands anymore
when resawing green wood!!! :-)

My standard warning about the "cold sparks" as they call them, produced by
metal on the ceramic guides, especially the thrust bearings.

They are not cold. If you've been making some dust under the insert, they
can light it off. First time was after some spalted beech, then later on
some basswood resaws. Don't leave the shop until you've dusted down under
the table.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Nice review thanks.
I have been using the red Powertwist link belts for a while now.

I actually did notice a slight reduction in noise when fitted to my
machinery. Probably 10-15%.
Vibration has been reduced quite markedly however. They are great belts and
I do recomend them.

I now have them installed on my bandsaw, drill press and jointer.

Powertwist Link belt Review -
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...rtwistplus.htm

Re cermaic bandsaw guides. I have some fitted to my generic 14" bandsaw. I
have never noticed any sparks until the other day.
I think there is some conditions in which sparks are produced. I havent
narrowed it down yet but as mentioned, have been using them for about 18
months and only noticed the sparks first time recently. perhaps it is a
setup issue more than the guides themselves?

Ceramic guide block review -
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...uideblocks.htm

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor, OnlineToolReviews.com
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 110+ woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Nova Cole Jaws
- The Dust Picker!
- Leigh D1600 Dovetail Jig
- Wagner MMC220 Moisture Meter
- PowerTwist Link Belts
- Ryobi "LiveTool" Range
=========================

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"HappyGilmore" wrote in message
Re cermaic bandsaw guides. I have some fitted to my generic 14" bandsaw. I
have never noticed any sparks until the other day.
I think there is some conditions in which sparks are produced. I havent
narrowed it down yet but as mentioned, have been using them for about 18
months and only noticed the sparks first time recently. perhaps it is a
setup issue more than the guides themselves?

Flint and steel. Same conditions. Here the steel has to have some rough
edges, as the surface of the flint won't rip it.