Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Winter Rules Begin

I had to fire up the snowblower to complete the drive today. Snow over the
tractor blade. As of now I have my "ready" pallet of blanks marked with
wands so I know where to dig when I have time to rough.

Fortunately the maple log I want is near an open end of the big stack, so I
can probably get to him in a thaw. The remainder of the wooden arcs from
trimming last year's roughs will go up the chimney by Sunday.

Frozen wood season again. Time to get that bucket of warm water and towel
ready to warm my left hand....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote:

I had to fire up the snowblower to complete the drive today. Snow over

Misread that line as 'fire up the snowboard' and thought 'WOW, George is
into *Extreme Sports*. Anybody seen a powered snowboard.

the tractor blade. As of now I have my "ready" pallet of blanks
marked with wands so I know where to dig when I have time to rough.

Expecting a LOT of snow? Reminds me of the loot burial scene in 'Fargo'.

Fortunately the maple log I want is near an open end of the big stack,
so I can probably get to him in a thaw. The remainder of the wooden
arcs from trimming last year's roughs will go up the chimney by
Sunday.

Frozen wood season again. Time to get that bucket of warm water and
towel ready to warm my left hand....

Could you direct some warm air to the hand, with minimal effect on the
blank?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Could you direct some warm air to the hand, with minimal effect on the
blank?

Never really thought of that. Might be another way, rather than stop and
warm. Exhaust from a small hair dryer perhaps.

As to a lot of snow, the surest way to get more is to be unprepared. Sort of
like luring the plow to finally clear your road by relenting and clearing
the driveway for repacking. We average about 250 as it falls, but even
with thawing and packing the stuff rarely drops below 2-3' on the level
before spring. Breakthrough when snowshoeing is a real thrill.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Could you direct some warm air to the hand, with minimal effect on
the blank?

Never really thought of that. Might be another way, rather than stop
and warm. Exhaust from a small hair dryer perhaps.

As to a lot of snow, the surest way to get more is to be unprepared.
Sort of like luring the plow to finally clear your road by relenting
and clearing the driveway for repacking. We average about 250 as it
falls, but even with thawing and packing the stuff rarely drops below
2-3' on the level before spring. Breakthrough when snowshoeing is a
real thrill.

We get that. But you can drive home in a couple hours or less. )