David W.E. Roberts

Default Old technology rules...

Hi,

just clearing the front garden (or front concrete) and the drive prior to
having block paving laid.

We decided to do the digging out ourselves, mainly because it is more fun
than working.

However, it is raining at the moment :-(

Our block paving guy lent us a concrete breaker thingie over the weekend -
like a very big SDS drill.

I wasn't making very much progress on one of the slabs, so he came back with
an alternative tool.

This is a 6' steel bar; point at one end chisel shape at the other.

One end under an 8' * 4' * 5" thick concrete slab and him jumping on the
other end (and he isn't a small guy) and amazingly the whole slab tilted up.

Some rubble under it to keep it slightly raised, and a few hefty welts with
a sledge hammer and the concrete was broken up and heading for the skip.

I am on the difficult bit now - a continuous slab which has manhole and
drains in - so I can't tip this one up.
However I am still amazed at how straightforward it was to lever up a slab
of concrete.

You do need a pretty solid fulrum, mind.

Cheers

Dave R

Rick

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 09:39:03 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

[...]

Concrete is strong under compression, but week in tension. You moved
it from one to the other. Steel however is the opposite, so a mixture
of the two is massivly strong in a much wider set of applications.

Rick

Grunff

Rick wrote:

Concrete is strong under compression, but week in tension. You moved
it from one to the other.

True.

Steel however is the opposite

False. Steel has a much higher compressive strength than concrete.

--
Grunff
The Natural Philosopher

Grunff wrote:

Rick wrote:

Concrete is strong under compression, but week in tension. You moved
it from one to the other.

True.

Steel however is the opposite

False. Steel has a much higher compressive strength than concrete.

but steel BARS buckle at much less than the ultimate compressive
strength,and steel SLAB weighs far more than concrete and costs a fortune...
Grunff

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

False. Steel has a much higher compressive strength than concrete.

but steel BARS buckle at much less than the ultimate compressive
strength,and steel SLAB weighs far more than concrete and costs a
fortune...

Yes, I know why steel is used to reinforce concrete - I was just
clarifying the point about relative compressive strength...

--
Grunff

Mary Fisher

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

LOL! Very nice post, thanks :-)

Mary

raden

In message , Grunff
writes
Rick wrote:

Concrete is strong under compression, but week in tension. You moved
it from one to the other.

True.

Steel however is the opposite

False. Steel has a much higher compressive strength than concrete.

I know what he said, but I think what was meant was that it buckles in
compression

--
geoff
Grunff

raden wrote:

False. Steel has a much higher compressive strength than concrete.

I know what he said, but I think what was meant was that it buckles in
compression

So would a concrete rod of the same dimensions.

--
Grunff