Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Frozen green bowl turning

I just started experimenting with green bowl turning and have
researched techniques on this site, which has been helpful. A thought
crossed my mind (it didn't take long). With the temps down to single
digits at night and my wood blanks outside in a plastic bag, will the
freezing affect how the green bowls turn? I will thaw them first :-).
Minnjim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Inquiring minds want to know...

Let us know how it works.

I suspect they will be harder to turn frozen than thawed.

Old Guy
Who's turning stock is also frozen in Minnesota

"minnjim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just started experimenting with green bowl turning and have
researched techniques on this site, which has been helpful. A thought
crossed my mind (it didn't take long). With the temps down to single
digits at night and my wood blanks outside in a plastic bag, will the
freezing affect how the green bowls turn? I will thaw them first :-).
Minnjim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article .com,
"minnjim" wrote:

I just started experimenting with green bowl turning and have
researched techniques on this site, which has been helpful. A thought
crossed my mind (it didn't take long). With the temps down to single
digits at night and my wood blanks outside in a plastic bag, will the
freezing affect how the green bowls turn? I will thaw them first :-).
Minnjim

Well, speaking as someone who used to turn frozen wood in a below
freezing shed, I think thawing it is a waste of time, but suit yourself.

Not the most fun I've ever had, but that was the cold; the wood turns
perfectly well - think about it, ice would not be that hard to cut with
a lathe - mounting it and not breaking it (if it was just ice) would be
difficult, but cutting it would be trivial. Putting the ice inside wood
makes it easier to mount and not break, but your cutting effort is still
nearly all directed to the wood, not the ice in the wood.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

minnjim wrote:
I just started experimenting with green bowl turning and have
researched techniques on this site, which has been helpful. A thought
crossed my mind (it didn't take long). With the temps down to single
digits at night and my wood blanks outside in a plastic bag, will the
freezing affect how the green bowls turn? I will thaw them first :-).
Minnjim

In my opinion it cuts alot nicer frozen. It's just a little colder on
the hands.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"minnjim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just started experimenting with green bowl turning and have
researched techniques on this site, which has been helpful. A thought
crossed my mind (it didn't take long). With the temps down to single
digits at night and my wood blanks outside in a plastic bag, will the
freezing affect how the green bowls turn? I will thaw them first :-).
Minnjim

I'm with Ralph, the difference is in how cold your hands get when turning.
Leaving in a plastic bag won't mean much if the temperatures are below
freezing. Minimal vapor pressure will keep the blank from drying. I've got
some fresh cherry in the trailer in the garage, and I'm not worried a bit
about it checking at 16F. I generally let a chunk acclimate and shed any
snow on the basement floor before turning just to keep the icy stuff off my
hands.

Where you'll want to pay extra attention is in drying the bowl after first
turning. Assuming you'll bring it in, it's pretty low relative humidity in
heated dwellings this time of year, so bag or wrap, coat or box to slow the
loss from exterior surfaces.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"minnjim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just started experimenting with green bowl turning and have
researched techniques on this site, which has been helpful. A thought
crossed my mind (it didn't take long). With the temps down to single
digits at night and my wood blanks outside in a plastic bag, will the
freezing affect how the green bowls turn? I will thaw them first :-).
Minnjim

Never tried it, but I have cut frozen foods.
Frozen food is more likely to cut than to crush. Perhaps that means that if
you are turning a wood that tends to scrape rather than cut (like the wenge
I just had the misfortune to turn) it would do better frozen.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Toller wrote:
"minnjim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just started experimenting with green bowl turning and have
researched techniques on this site, which has been helpful. A thought
crossed my mind (it didn't take long). With the temps down to single
digits at night and my wood blanks outside in a plastic bag, will the
freezing affect how the green bowls turn? I will thaw them first :-).
Minnjim

Never tried it, but I have cut frozen foods.
Frozen food is more likely to cut than to crush. Perhaps that means that if
you are turning a wood that tends to scrape rather than cut (like the wenge
I just had the misfortune to turn) it would do better frozen.

Thanks for all the replies on the frozen wood. I didn't think it was a
problem, but good to get some other opinions. I did have one bowl
check on the 2nd day(red oak) \, so now will put them in a grocery bag
for a couple of weeks before leaving them in the shop environment.
Minnjim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 3 Dec 2006 17:26:17 -0800, "minnjim" wrote:

I was just wondering if the wood is freezing and water expands as it
turns to ice, will not cause the wood to crack?
Ivor

Toller wrote:
"minnjim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just started experimenting with green bowl turning and have
researched techniques on this site, which has been helpful. A thought
crossed my mind (it didn't take long). With the temps down to single
digits at night and my wood blanks outside in a plastic bag, will the
freezing affect how the green bowls turn? I will thaw them first :-).
Minnjim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Ivor Taylor wrote:

I was just wondering if the wood is freezing and water expands as it
turns to ice, will not cause the wood to crack?

If it did, we'd never have two year old trees around here. Having
personally cut down and counted a 150 year old specimen, I conclude that
it is not a problem.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Ivor Taylor" wrote in message

On 3 Dec 2006 17:26:17 -0800, "minnjim" wrote:

I was just wondering if the wood is freezing and water expands as it
turns to ice, will not cause the wood to crack?

Lots more air space than will ever fill with expanded water. But, as you'll
discover, there's enough dissolved material in the water to keep it from
freezing anyway. At least down to minus 20 F on my woodpile.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

minnjim wrote:
I just started experimenting with green bowl turning and have
researched techniques on this site, which has been helpful. A thought
crossed my mind (it didn't take long). With the temps down to single
digits at night and my wood blanks outside in a plastic bag, will the
freezing affect how the green bowls turn? I will thaw them first :-).
Minnjim

I would like to post some pictures on a question I have. The help
section says to send an attachment with an e-mail to this group. I
don't find what looks like an e-mail address at the bottom of this
group site.Any help for this com. illiterate would be appreciated
Minn Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"MinnJim" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to post some pictures on a question I have. The help
section says to send an attachment with an e-mail to this group. I
don't find what looks like an e-mail address at the bottom of this
group site.Any help for this com. illiterate would be appreciated
Minn Jim

Don't attach a file. Post your picture on your personal site or one of the
free photo sites like photosite.com and put the url in your message.
There's also an alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking group where you can post a
picture, but it appears to have lags and gaps in coverage. Guess most of
the usenet photo pixels are devoted to porn.