Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Frozen green bowl turning

In article .com,
"minnjim" wrote:

I just started experimenting with green bowl turning and have
researched techniques on this site, which has been helpful. A thought
crossed my mind (it didn't take long). With the temps down to single
digits at night and my wood blanks outside in a plastic bag, will the
freezing affect how the green bowls turn? I will thaw them first :-).
Minnjim

Well, speaking as someone who used to turn frozen wood in a below
freezing shed, I think thawing it is a waste of time, but suit yourself.

Not the most fun I've ever had, but that was the cold; the wood turns
perfectly well - think about it, ice would not be that hard to cut with
a lathe - mounting it and not breaking it (if it was just ice) would be
difficult, but cutting it would be trivial. Putting the ice inside wood
makes it easier to mount and not break, but your cutting effort is still
nearly all directed to the wood, not the ice in the wood.