Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Norfolk pine

Any hints on how to deal with the tearout?

Junior

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If you are turning end grain I suggest a hook tool on the inside to get a
clean cut. Cut from center out.

Greg Jensen

"Junior" wrote in message
Any hints on how to deal with the tearout?

Junior

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Sharp tools to start with. Keep them sharp throughout the turning process.

http://www.geocities.com/steven_raph...turnings1.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Junior - if this NIP has been down more than a month or so, it has
probably gotten pretty soft. Your best bet is to soak it overnite in
a 50/50 solution of white glue and water - then let it dry thoroughly
before proceeding. You won't be able to dye it, but it will finish up
very well!

Hought

Junior wrote:
Any hints on how to deal with the tearout?

Junior

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Junior

Maybe you have to call out for ARCH, he turns NIP with very good
results apparently, spalted as well, you should be able to find some
info in FAQ

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Junior wrote:
Any hints on how to deal with the tearout?

Junior

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'm surprised that your log didn't melt after a couple of years, you
must have a small section. You are right, it's punky and now you
dealing with big tearout. In the past, I have brushed on lacquer
sanding sealer to help stiffen up the fibers for a cleaner cut. You
will have to do some sanding to get rid of the rest of the tearout. I
have turned a few beautiful bowls out of norfolk that I found dumped
off a dirt road...it's worth the effort. You probably have some nice
spalting in the wood. The key here is light cuts, take your time, and
use your favorite end grain tool.

"Junior" wrote in message
Any hints on how to deal with the tearout?

Junior

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Junior, Leo is a good net friend, but my good results are relative.

With apologies to Leif and not disagreeing with his world famous thesis,
you might want to try slathering any cheap brand of liquid dishwashing
detergent liberally over the blank. It seems to lubricate punky NIP and
make it less likely to tear out. Nothing substitutes for sharp tools
and good technique.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter