Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Looking for a faceplate source

You can make, or have made with a little bit of help, (a friend with a
welder) your own face plates fairly easily.
Purchase a suitable nut, get a piece of flat steel (1/4" for a small FP to
3/8" thick) suitable size for your face plate (Scrap merchants the
cheapest). Weld the plate to your nut and then the plate can be trued up on
your lathe with a suitable HSS scraper. Mark a circle and divide it for the
mounting holes you wish to have and you are done.
Obviously having a metal turning lathe and welder all makes it easier, but
it is not essential. One of my larger face plates is a square plate welded
to a nut.
Cheers, Peter.

"Test Tickle" wrote in message
Hey,

I'm looking for a source for reasonably priced faceplates I saw posted
here a while back. I need 1-1/4 x 8, and I'd like 3 inch diameter.
Everything I've seen for the regular dealers seems pretty steep. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
tt