Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turned Walnut - Couldn't Make Up My Mind

Attended my first wood turners club meeting and saw a single "rib" bowl
(reminded me of one of Saturn and its rings). The rib was left to
provide some strength to the piece while turning - reduces or stops
wall flexing.

Had a small piece of black walnut - an off cut from a bowl blank - and
had it set up between centers on the lathe for the next time the turning
bug bit me. Had a new tool rest to try so it was Grab The Skew and
See What Happens Time. Soon I had a fat at the bottom and thin
at the top vase. Then I remembered the single rib bowl. Hmmmm.

Why do I have to have a single shape in a piece? Why can't I have
BOTH a wide at the bottom and narrow at the top AND narrow at
the bottom and wide at the top in one piece?

This is the first application of an idea worth exploring and then
refining.

I often have no idea what I'll end up with when I mount a piece of wood
and grab the skew. Very different from making a piece of furniture.
pic - though not a very good one - in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
subject same as this post

charlie b