Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default new boy!

Hi,
I am new to turning and I am in a wheelchair, any tips would be most
welcome, such as beginners projects, basic tool set chucks etc.

regards
Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Peter Douglas" wrote in message
Hi,
I am new to turning and I am in a wheelchair, any tips would be most
welcome, such as beginners projects, basic tool set chucks etc.

Though you don't say why you're in a wheelchair, it would be good to get a
chair which revolves and elevates for closer access and body English.

The minis or midis are a great place to start, between centers will teach
you the tools, which you need not spend an enormous amount on to begin with.
A chuck is a great convenience which makes the most of the time you spend at
the lathe, but it's not strictly necessary. Drop in here, if you haven't
already http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/index.php?s= for specific
brands available there. I'd say Teknatool has a good capable lathe, and
some fine chucks. P&N some great tools. Get you in above the "starter"
level, but might be the last you'd need.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Peter
If I may say so, come and look at my site. It has a fair amount of tips and
projects and how to stuff in it. Welcome to the addiction.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"Peter Douglas" wrote in message
Hi,
I am new to turning and I am in a wheelchair, any tips would be most
welcome, such as beginners projects, basic tool set chucks etc.

regards
Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Peter Douglas wrote:
Hi,
I am new to turning and I am in a wheelchair, any tips would be most
welcome, such as beginners projects, basic tool set chucks etc.

regards
Peter

I came across this site a while back.

http://www.ableworkshop.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the group. A great starter tools set is this set from Harbor
Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47066 it's
item #47066. It's about all you'll need for spindle work. Add a couple of
bowl gouges and you can turn just about anything. There are a few specialty
tools you might need some day. But cross that bridge when you get there. The
current catalog (156-D) on page #60 has the set for $29.95. If you order
tell them you have coupon #591-715 to save an additional $5.00. So for $25
you get a nice set of 8 tools. You can barely find one tool for that price!
Enjoy the hobby!

Dan

"Peter Douglas" wrote in message
Hi,
I am new to turning and I am in a wheelchair, any tips would be most
welcome, such as beginners projects, basic tool set chucks etc.

regards
Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Peter Douglas" wrote: (clip)I am in a wheelchair, any tips would be most
welcome, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your biggest problem is not being able to lean up and over the work. One
suggested solution would be to mount the lathe low, and tilted toward you.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Peter Douglas" writes:

Hi,
I am new to turning and I am in a wheelchair, any tips would be most
welcome, such as beginners projects, basic tool set chucks etc.

There are several people here who are also in a wheelchair.
Check the google archives for help/information. And welcome!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Peter Douglas wrote:
Hi,
I am new to turning and I am in a wheelchair, any tips would be most
welcome, such as beginners projects, basic tool set chucks etc.

regards
Peter

Hi Peter. Here's a Gent to contact. He's in a wheel chair, and it hasn't
stopped him any.

http://www.paulswood.com/catalog/index.php

--

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

Take a look at my mess and work.
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"