Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sealing end

I am looking for suggestions on how to seal end grain in maple. When I have
tried to stain and finish live edge bowls I have turned the end grain comes
out blotchy and looks treble.
Thank Ian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ian Edwards wrote:
I am looking for suggestions on how to seal end grain in maple. When I have
tried to stain and finish live edge bowls I have turned the end grain comes
out blotchy and looks treble.
Thank Ian

Use a wood conditioner first. Minwax does one and it is specifically
for the kind of problem you are having.
Also check out Russ Fairfield's articles on finishing over on Wood
Central

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If you are in the UK, try Chestnut Products 'End Seal' - that works a
treat but you could also use diluted PVA adhesive or candlewax (in
which case, it is handy to have a Priest as a friend)

Regards

Paul

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 15:30:03 -0400, "Ian Edwards"
wrote:

I am looking for suggestions on how to seal end grain in maple. When I have
tried to stain and finish live edge bowls I have turned the end grain comes
out blotchy and looks treble.
Thank Ian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I am looking for suggestions on how to seal end grain in maple. When I have
tried to stain and finish live edge bowls I have turned the end grain comes
out blotchy and looks treble.

I use sanding sealer, then it only looks double.

Sealing shower for 3rd time Haymish Pupkin UK diy 5 June 26th 06 06:11 PM
Sealing Shower Grout jay hey Home Repair 4 November 27th 05 04:12 PM
Sealing a glass hob? newman UK diy 6 September 14th 05 12:06 AM
Sealing around bath (difficult) Stinkoman UK diy 1 April 2nd 05 12:48 PM
Sealing fork lift gauges from the weather LowEnergyParticle Metalworking 7 January 24th 05 03:42 PM