Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Member

Location: Halesworth, Suffolk.uk
Default Final cut

My question is when I’m shaping the inside of a bowl, using the bowl gouge ½” hss, which has steep sides and a fairly flat bottom with a curve joining the two areas. To make the final cuts as smooth as possible do I
a) Try and cut from the lip down the side and all the way to the centre in one cut.
b) Finish the side in one cut, the bottom in another and try and join the two on the curve.
c) Go back to the scraper to finish off

At the moment I can get the sides clean and the base clean but as I’m going from the side to the base I trend to get a few ripples left while I’m trying to make one continuous cut.

I know most of you will shout at me saying practice, practice, practice and all will come clear or hopefully smooth. All I’m asking is how I should make this last cut so I can go away and practice……..

Mark

Solid wood floors - final few rows JustMe UK diy 1 September 18th 06 05:37 PM
Final Finishing Alternative to Wax? [email protected] Woodworking 26 September 9th 05 03:07 PM
Living flame final fix VisionSet UK diy 0 August 22nd 05 01:33 PM
Final wood thickness Shawn Woodworking 3 January 13th 05 12:25 AM
finish- final coat of ??? Steve Verity Woodworking 11 November 3rd 04 06:51 AM