Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ias ias is offline

Default help identifying wood

Hi folks. I found a couple of nice pieces of wood lying around the
shop. Only problem is I can't remember what they are. I've posted
a picture at http://www.mapleseedgallery.ca/tempf...od_sample1.jpg
and was hoping that someone could help me identify the species. Thanks
in advance.

Regards
irwin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article .com,
"ias" wrote:

Hi folks. I found a couple of nice pieces of wood lying around the
shop. Only problem is I can't remember what they are. I've posted
a picture at http://www.mapleseedgallery.ca/tempf...od_sample1.jpg
and was hoping that someone could help me identify the species. Thanks
in advance.

Hi Irwin,
It's pretty tough to tell with that one picture - is that end grain or
side grain? Can you put up at least one picture of each - maybe a really
closeup of each too?

What color does it appear to your eye? (Individual computer monitors and
user's lighting environments can really alter the coloration.)

Do you think the wood came from a local source or might it have been
imported to Canada - or travelled cross-country?

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Irwin,

From what you provide, it is difficult to make any sort of accurate
identification. It appears to be an endgrain shot of a piece of black locust,
but it could be any number of different woods.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article .com, ias says...

Hi folks. I found a couple of nice pieces of wood lying around the
shop. Only problem is I can't remember what they are. I've posted
a picture at http://www.mapleseedgallery.ca/tempf...od_sample1.jpg
and was hoping that someone could help me identify the species. Thanks
in advance.

Regards
irwin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Irwin

Irwin it is hard to tell what wood it is from even a very good picture,
and this small picture makes it very hard.
I assume this is native hard wood, if not than all bets are off
I really have to go by the color here and what I am able to make out of
the end grain, the color looks very orange to me, and the end grain
not open like ash or oak etc., Honey locust looks redder normally and
has open end grain, black locust and acacia all have open grained wood
for those I am aware of, and the wood color is more yellow.
Some Buckthorn has the orange color, and closed grain wood, but they
are more a large shrub than a tree, and rarely more than 12"D
Plum is another one that has closed end grain and the color gets close
to the color shown, so take your pick, and one more question, how heavy
is it compared with some other wood, is it dry, how long has this wood
sat around, and is this the color it is now???

Are you able to answer the questions, and supply a few larger sharp
close-up pictures, then maybe someone has worked with that same kind of
wood and knows the answer.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum20.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

ias wrote:
Hi folks. I found a couple of nice pieces of wood lying around the
shop. Only problem is I can't remember what they are. I've posted
a picture at http://www.mapleseedgallery.ca/tempf...od_sample1.jpg
and was hoping that someone could help me identify the species. Thanks
in advance.

Regards
irwin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Irwin, I understand that you and your customers prefer to know. Just
for fun, not meaning to be smartass, here's two comforting classics
paraphrased: "A blank is a blank, is a blank" "Wood by any other name
turns as sweet" ...and my suggestion: "Turn it, don't name it!"

Choose whatever name pleases you", (I often choose "******* wood")
Most people will believe you, the few that don't just give your very
nice work more publicity". I don't expect this to help.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

My first thought was locust, or possibly Osage, but kind of hard to
tell without seeing and feeling it in person. I do end up with some
pieces that I can't remember what they are, or don't know, and will
tell the customers that it is 'fire wood'.
robo hippy
Arch wrote:
Hi Irwin, I understand that you and your customers prefer to know. Just
for fun, not meaning to be smartass, here's two comforting classics
paraphrased: "A blank is a blank, is a blank" "Wood by any other name
turns as sweet" ...and my suggestion: "Turn it, don't name it!"

Choose whatever name pleases you", (I often choose "******* wood")
Most people will believe you, the few that don't just give your very
nice work more publicity". I don't expect this to help.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

ias wrote:
Hi folks. I found a couple of nice pieces of wood lying around the
shop. Only problem is I can't remember what they are. I've posted
a picture at http://www.mapleseedgallery.ca/tempf...od_sample1.jpg
and was hoping that someone could help me identify the species. Thanks
in advance.

Regards
irwin

Hi Irwin, I posted a wood identify site a few weeks ago but in case you
missed it here is the address again.. I
hope you find it useful. I am wiiling to bet your wood is there !!!!
Stu