Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default New England Wood Sources

Might be driving up to the New England area later this year. Looking for
recommendations on good places to pick up some of the local hardwoods
(walnut, cherry, maple.....) for turning. I'd be interested in green wood
up to 16" in diameter as well as dried boards for segmented turnings. Going
to be mostly in the MA, VT, NH area, but would be willing to drive farther
for some nice wood. Any tips on good wood sources would be greatly
appreciated.

MH

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Did you want to buy some at a store, or cut down some trees?

Check out goosebaylumber.com and/or highlandhardwoods.com
for places that I go to.

If you're going to be around on the fourth saturday of an even
numbered month, you could attend one of our chapter's meetings
(www.gnhw.org) and see if you can talk someone out of some wood :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ma Hogany wrote:
Going
to be mostly in the MA, VT, NH area, but would be willing to drive farther
for some nice wood. Any tips on good wood sources would be greatly
appreciated.

MH

Probably outside your regular driving range, but if you're in central
new york, Lakeshore Hardwoods is a great dealer of native hardwood.
lakeshorehardwoods.com
They don't specialize in turning wood, but they're great to work with
if you're going to be in the area.
Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

DJ - I think I would hesitate to start taking a chainsaw to trees in an
area I didn't know. I'd hate to end up shot or in jail. Are there places
where you can legally cut down a tree?

Lumberyards are probably the best bet for the dried wood. I had come across
highlandhardwoods during a web search. They had looked pretty good. I'll
definitely add them to my list now. I'll also check out goosebaylumber.
Thanks for those suggestions.

Is it worth looking for someone who sells firewood to get some green wood?
We don't know much about firewood down here in South Florida, but it seems
like someone who is cutting trees for firewood might be willing to sell
unsplit wood at a reasonable price. Any other thoughts on where I might be
able to pick up some 4' to 6' section of logs 12" - 16" in diameter?

I don't have firm plans yet, but if I'm in the area at the right time it
would be fun to check out your meeting. I might even be able to drag up
some of my local wood to share.

MH

"DJ Delorie" wrote in message

Did you want to buy some at a store, or cut down some trees?

Check out goosebaylumber.com and/or highlandhardwoods.com
for places that I go to.

If you're going to be around on the fourth saturday of an even
numbered month, you could attend one of our chapter's meetings
(www.gnhw.org) and see if you can talk someone out of some wood :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Andy, Thanks for the info on Lakeshore Hardwoods. I'll have to look and
see where it is. I'll be in western MA, so some parts of NY will be within
range on this trip. Central NY may be a little far, but then again the
finger lakes area is a really nice place to visit. I just might be able to
talk my wife into going for it.

MH

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ma Hogany wrote:
Going
to be mostly in the MA, VT, NH area, but would be willing to drive
farther
for some nice wood. Any tips on good wood sources would be greatly
appreciated.

MH

Probably outside your regular driving range, but if you're in central
new york, Lakeshore Hardwoods is a great dealer of native hardwood.
lakeshorehardwoods.com
They don't specialize in turning wood, but they're great to work with
if you're going to be in the area.
Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ma Hogany wrote:
Andy, Thanks for the info on Lakeshore Hardwoods. I'll have to look and
see where it is. I'll be in western MA, so some parts of NY will be within
range on this trip.

Lakeshore Hardwoods is in Pulaski, NY, which is right on Lake Ontario
(the Eastern edge of the lake). It's about 45 min north of Syracuse,
which would make it probably just under 4hr from Springfield, MA.
Quite a trip to pick up some wood... But there's a little state park
(Selkirk) a couple miles from the lumberyard, finger lakes parks and
waterfalls etc. are a couple hours southwest, and of course there's
Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse. Yum.
Anyway, hope your trip (move?) to MA goes well.
Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Ma Hogany" writes:
DJ - I think I would hesitate to start taking a chainsaw to trees in
an area I didn't know. I'd hate to end up shot or in jail. Are
there places where you can legally cut down a tree?

Er, anyone who heats with wood knows how to cut down trees, and where
they can get some. I've got about 16 acres of trees on my land, I cut
down the "ugly" ones regularly, plus keep them back from my driveway.
It was farmed a few years ago, so it's short on large diameter trees
(I only have a 14" lathe anyway).

In general, homeowners can cut on their own land as long as the tree
stays in their land when it falls (i.e. no falling on the roads).

Is it worth looking for someone who sells firewood to get some green
wood?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I often find piles of local
hardwoods in LARGE chunks in people's yards. My brother-in-law has
some (seasoned) in the 24" diameter range; I've picked from his pile
in the past.

We don't know much about firewood down here in South Florida, but it
seems like someone who is cutting trees for firewood might be
willing to sell unsplit wood at a reasonable price. Any other
thoughts on where I might be able to pick up some 4' to 6' section
of logs 12" - 16" in diameter?

It's a matter of timing. What you really want is to be there when
they fall, and seal them with anchorseal or something. Hence my
suggestion to come to a meeting; you might be able to talk someone
into arranging a felling.

If you like knots and crotch grain, you might be able to get a chunk
or two for free. Most folks don't look forward to trying to split
that.

The other thing to do is call the local power companies (like PSNH)
and see if they have tree cutting crews out. You still have to ask
the land owner, but the crews would rather give you a 4' log than try
to chip it.