Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan

Default mahogany blanks

Hi Im looking for some 4X4X8 inch blanks and cannot find anywhere on the
net! Any ideas for where to find? Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On Fri, 12 May 2006 20:50:35 -0500, "Dan" wrote:

Hi Im looking for some 4X4X8 inch blanks and cannot find anywhere on the
net! Any ideas for where to find? Thanks!

Can you laminate them? There are a bunch on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Honduras-Mahog...cmdZViewI tem

Looks like you'd get at least one out of the set of five, and still
have one to make a pepper mill with. It's not a bad way to go-
laminating four blanks like that would hardly show, if you match the
grain carefully.

These guys claim to have it, but don't list sizes:

http://www.sticktrade.com/members/5056.htm

http://www.righteouswoods.net/mahogany_african.html

Overall, it's hard to find, at least in my area. The wood supplier I
use had one shipment of the African variety in as long as I have used
them. I used it to make laminated turning blanks, and it worked very
nicely, but with stacked-up 4/4 stock, the joint lines were fairly
visable.

Kind of makes you wonder why nobody on line sells a decent size
turning blank. I like them at least the size you mention, but it
seems they're all 2" thick.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

Dan wrote:
Hi Im looking for some 4X4X8 inch blanks and cannot find anywhere on the
net! Any ideas for where to find? Thanks!

East Coast Speciality Hardwoods
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
+1 (902) 468 3334

They stock 4" mahogany and will cut to spec. They don't have a website,
and i don't know if they do mail order, but worth a phone call to find
out. Only open Mon-Fri.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for woodturners

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Hi Dan, Don't know the area you live in, but here I can get turning
sized mahogany drops from local upscale custom cabinet shops just by
picking their disposal bins. Always best to make friends with a gift
bowl or two from time to time.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Before you guys ask, I hasten to state that some of my best friends are
bowls. Never met one I didn't like!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

Arch wrote:
Before you guys ask, I hasten to state that some of my best friends are
bowls. Never met one I didn't like!

Me too, but I do find they tend to be a bit warped and have a tendency
to crack up at my jokes.